FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Painting Fascias

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Nothing drags down the appearance of a DeLorean then some poor bumpers imo

My VIN:    10201

What's a good price for getting the fascias painted? I was quoted $800-$950 by a shop but this seems high for such a small amount of car to paint. My dad was quoted $3000 for his entire TSX with 3 coats of "german" paint.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    What's a good price for getting the fascias painted? I was quoted $800-$950 by a shop but this seems high for such a small amount of car to paint. My dad was quoted $3000 for his entire TSX with 3 coats of "german" paint.
    I don't know if there are regional price differences, but that sounds about right. Mine was more, but I had the louver painted as well. Also, I was quoted $500 to repaint the front fascia on my daily driver as an extra during work that was already being done.

I believe that in professional painting, you most often get what you pay for.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I'm with Matt on this one. Wrap them !
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Oh and SEM trim black works great on the louver .
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    10309

I have both my front and rear off getting them ready for the paint shop. A lot of sanding due to multiple layers of previously applied paint, ended up using a sharp razor blade to carefully remove the old paint. The color is partly dependent on the VIN with the earlier bumpers painted to match the stainless and the newer ones a darker color. I used this thread to help remove them: http://delorean6575revisited.blogspo...front-and.html
    There is also another thread that listed several paint codes. I couldn't use the paint code from 2009 because it was water based paint and we don't use that here. Make sure you use an adhesion promoter so the paint will not flake off or crack when you are putting the bumper back on. One quart of mixed paint, hardner (added to the paint to make a matte finish without clearcoat), bulldog adhesion promoter was $309 and I expect the painter to be about $200 per bumper. That's with me taking them off and prepping them.

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    Oh and SEM trim black works great on the louver .
    Agreed. That's what I asked my paint shop to use. But, they said that the paint's matte finish wouldn't stand up as well to car washes, and minor abrasions etc. so, they employed a matte clear coat over it. I thought it was a nice feature to maintain the look while providing better duriblity, and they didn't charge me extra.

Here is a picture of what it looks like.

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Agreed. That's what I asked my paint shop to use. But, they said that the paint's matte finish wouldn't stand up as well to car washes, and minor abrasions etc. so, they employed a matte clear coat over it. I thought it was a nice feature to maintain the look while providing better duriblity, and they didn't charge me extra.

Here is a picture of what it looks like.

image.jpg
    And that's how a real auto paint shop should apply satin black - using a professional, urethane, two-component black paint with a two-component satin clear. :thumbsup:

SEM in a rattle can is the DIY-er's weapon of choice.

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Differ depending on location, but we are generally $450 a panel these days

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Agreed. Have a quality shop paint them. If you are concerned with originality, get the vin correct paint codes from DMC, and have the shop pay attention to the details.. like the bottom being un-painted.

I did this when I had my fascias and louvre painted. I chose a well recommended shop that specializes in classic cars, and could paint in my vin correct oil based paint. I actually marked the areas that were not to be painted with marker on painters tape, and I stressed to the shop manager that I wanted the most experienced tech doing the work. They turned out well.

Here's a couple pics..

Attachment 45667

Attachment 45668
    I will have to ask you what shop you used when it's time for me to paint mine!
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast