FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Currently available 10-12+ spoke wheels for delorean

Currently available 10-12+ spoke wheels for delorean

Any manufacturers out there making 17-18" spoked wheels that have at least 8-10+ spokes (in proper size to fit delorean)?

To me, deloreans look best with multi-spoke style wheels, but it would be nice to take advantage of the 17-18" size wheels.

I know there are some 17/18 DMC reproductions available.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

There are a lot of options available. The DeLoreans lug pattern is very common: 4x100 (4 lugs on a 100mm diameter bolt circle). Your biggest concern will just be the offset, primarily in the rear. The DeLoreans rear wheels have a deep offset due to how much the rear rims are 'dished'. To adjust for this, you commonly need to by wheel spacers.

As far as what you're describing, it sounds similar to what Patrick C has on his car. His are XXR rims and to me, they're the best looking non-stock rims I've seen on a DeLorean. These are also the same rims that the car used in the "Thrift Shop" music video had. They're 17"/18" and they've got either 5 or 10 spokes depending on how you count (though I suppose it's really 5).

patricks delorean.jpg

Still, if this isn't your style, any 4x100s should work with the proper spacing assuming they're not too wide. Maybe you can post a picture of what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 08-25-2016 at 05:02 PM.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Be very careful about the center hub size. 4x100 is a common bolt pattern, but the DMC center hub is larger than most (Honda for example). If you put on a wheel with a center hole that is larger than the protrusion on the hub, it will be centered by the lug nuts rather than the center hole, and that puts a lot of extra stress on the lug studs, and the wheel may end up off-center which will cause a huge vibration issue. If you try to put on a wheel with a smaller center hole, it just won't fit, or worse, it will wobble. Sorry- that's a dimension that I don't know offhand.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Be very careful about the center hub size. 4x100 is a common bolt pattern, but the DMC center hub is larger than most (Honda for example). If you put on a wheel with a center hole that is larger than the protrusion on the hub, it will be centered by the lug nuts rather than the center hole, and that puts a lot of extra stress on the lug studs, and the wheel may end up off-center which will cause a huge vibration issue. If you try to put on a wheel with a smaller center hole, it just won't fit, or worse, it will wobble. Sorry- that's a dimension that I don't know offhand.
    I always thought the lug nuts (tapered seat) were what centered the wheel.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I always thought the lug nuts (tapered seat) were what centered the wheel.
    That centers the studs in the 4 holes (rotationally) but the wheel has to be centered and supported by the hub.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Not to argue with Dave, but I have a hard time believing the rear (with the spacer installed) does much hub-centering at all.
    The front is certainly hub centric though.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    03572

Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/