FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Door Struts

My VIN:    10268

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Door Struts

Looking to see if anyone has any opinions on the door struts.....

My door struts were (presumably) original and were so weak that they would not even go up in the winter time. In the summer time they do work relativity ok

I had recently replaced my driver side with a new one from DMC Texas and it's lifting power is actually worse than the one I haven't replaced on the passenger side. It also has this awful squeak coming from the shaft as the door opens.

Would anyone not recommend this brand for replacement struts... or could I perhaps have a bad strut?

(The struts for the hood and louver in the kit worked great)

Thank you

My VIN:    10644

I've always used PJ Grady's struts.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Maybe you got a bad one? The squeak is unusual. Make sure your torsion bar isn't rubbing on anything. If you take the strut off, does the squeak stop?

Swap the drivers side and passenger side struts and see if the squeak moves. I have never had any problems with DMCH struts.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Maybe you got a bad one? The squeak is unusual. Make sure your torsion bar isn't rubbing on anything. If you take the strut off, does the squeak stop?

Swap the drivers side and passenger side struts and see if the squeak moves. I have never had any problems with DMCH struts.
    The most recent batch from Grady seems to be the best so far. They have built-in dampening so the door doesn't bounce hard when it fully opens. Maybe you need some grease on the balls where the struts attach to fix the squeak.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

I have seen roof seals squeak when a door is opened, perhaps that is the cause?
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

No the squeak is coming directly from the shaft of the new strut I put in. I haven't even replaced the passenger side because I feel the 30 year old one opens the door better.
    This new one opens the door about halfway and you have to push the door up the rest of the way.
    It came in the strut kit from Texas

So it sounds as though these struts *should* be opening the door hard enough to where they might 'bounce' at the top?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The squeaky shaft is probably because it got a cleaner or silicone on it. Never wipe any strut shaft with anything other than maybe a dry cloth. Always mount them with the rod in the downward position. It keeps the oil seal lubricated.

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.