FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Shifter stuck and won't lift up to go into Reverse

My VIN:    16655

Shifter stuck and won't lift up to go into Reverse

So, 16655 has sat for a little while since I really shouldn't be driving it until I fix the crumple tube rust problem. But, at the car show I had it at earlier this summer a Mom asked me if I could bring the car to her son's birthday party- and it's tomorrow. I went to get the car moved into a spot more conducive to cleaning it up- and found that I cannot get the shifter to lift up to put it into reverse. Goes into the other gears just fine- but that doesn't do me any good in getting the car to go backwards like I need it to!

I've got the center console cover off but I'm at a loss as to just what I should be doing to try and break it free so it works- I don't want to try prying on the wrong thing and breaking it. Anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it? Thanks!

My VIN:    03572

It may be you just need an adjustment of the crossgate. With the cover off you should be able to see if the shifter is moving to the ends of the movement and see why it's not if so.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    It may be you just need an adjustment of the crossgate. With the cover off you should be able to see if the shifter is moving to the ends of the movement and see why it's not if so.
    It looks like it's moving properly- but I'll also admit I'm not seeing just what exactly moves (and how) when you pull up on the shifter to put it into reverse...

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I don't have a manual trans, yet I still think this is the best video I have ever seen for our cars in helping explain something with visuals.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That helps a bit- but unfortunately doesn't directly show what parts move to go into reverse, but I can kind of guess what is. At a minimum I know the pin has to go up...

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

It sounds like your shifter rod has rusted up in the linkage yoke. I had the same issue on 5052. As a quick fix you can remove the gold colored plate that the reverse lockout pin hits against. IIRC it is held in place by two 8mm nuts. Obviously you need to be careful not to mistakenly shift into reverse, I haven't had any issues however because reverse is so far from 2nd.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    It sounds like your shifter rod has rusted up in the linkage yoke.....
    Shift lever is stuck vertically, will not move up and down smoothly and thus the blocking pin can't clear the lockout?

Use some PB Blaster or similar penetrating oil plus some muscle to get it freed up. You should be able to lift the lever against its return spring while in neutral...moves upward about 5-10mm, then it can clear the lockout to the left.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

I ended up getting a slide hammer from the auto parts store and using the FWD axle adapter under the shifter ball to break it loose. I'll have to remember to go out and operate the mechanism every few weeks while it's sitting for a while so it doesn't get stuck again...

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Normally, the shift lever has grease on it. It seems very odd that yours would rust up. Drizzle a little oil on the lever to yoke bore and work it into it.

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.