Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Time machine...it has begun.

  1. #1
    Member smcguiga's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2015

    Location:  Northport, AL

    Posts:    74

    My VIN:    7122

    Time machine...it has begun.

    This is going to take a while.







    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Senior Member mluder's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Happy Valley, OR

    Posts:    1,603

    My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    What are you going to cast them out of? Silicon?

    Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire
    #4456


    IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

  3. #3
    Member smcguiga's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2015

    Location:  Northport, AL

    Posts:    74

    My VIN:    7122

    Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    What are you going to cast them out of? Silicon?

    Cheers
    Steve
    I have some Rubber ReoFlex 60 and black tint from Smooth-On that I will use for casting. I've made two silicon molds so I can cast two at a time. The cure time says 16 hours for the ReoFlex 60.

  4. #4
    Member smcguiga's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2015

    Location:  Northport, AL

    Posts:    74

    My VIN:    7122

    Next up is an idea I had for mounting the flux band brackets. I'm suspending hard drive magnets just inside the mold so they will be slightly under the bottom of the bracket.



    Now the Reoflex goes in and wait 16 hours!



    I'm testing on the front fender since it's easy to get magnets behind the stainless.



    Now the bracket will stick to the car!



    I'm not sure if this will be strong enough to hold while driving. I guess once they are all on the car I'll have to see how much force it takes to pull them all off. I have a feeling I will need to fasten them to the car somewhere for safety....time will tell.

    Now on to make a crap load of these....


    Next up, flux boxes!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member mluder's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Happy Valley, OR

    Posts:    1,603

    My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Quote Originally Posted by smcguiga View Post
    Next up is an idea I had for mounting the flux band brackets. I'm suspending hard drive magnets just inside the mold so they will be slightly under the bottom of the bracket.



    Now the Reoflex goes in and wait 16 hours!



    I'm testing on the front fender since it's easy to get magnets behind the stainless.



    Now the bracket will stick to the car!



    I'm not sure if this will be strong enough to hold while driving. I guess once they are all on the car I'll have to see how much force it takes to pull them all off. I have a feeling I will need to fasten them to the car somewhere for safety....time will tell.

    Now on to make a crap load of these....


    Next up, flux boxes!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    This is great... You're making real all the things I've been thinking and writing down. It's always handy to have someone else prove the concepts.

    Is the wood flux box the final piece or are you casting those too?

    Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire
    #4456


    IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

  6. #6
    Member smcguiga's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2015

    Location:  Northport, AL

    Posts:    74

    My VIN:    7122

    Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    This is great... You're making real all the things I've been thinking and writing down. It's always handy to have someone else prove the concepts.

    Is the wood flux box the final piece or are you casting those too?

    Cheers
    Steve
    I'll be casting the flux boxes once the wood models are perfect.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    1,885

    My VIN:    6125

    Lookin good so far Steve!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Mar 2016

    Posts:    3

    Looks great so far! I'm excited to see your progress on the magnets. Great idea!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Timebender's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2011

    Location:  Jamul, CA

    Posts:    1,400

    My VIN:    07000

    Nice work so far, and I like the idea of the magnets too- once you have those all in place under the skins they might hold fine as the load is being spread out.
    As far as the flux boxes, I was considering modeling them in Fusion 360, hollowed out, and then 3D printing in a couple sections so they're lighter than resin boxes - same goes for the Wormhole Emitter I modeled. Can't wait to see your progress. If I can get close enough to another time machine replica, I might do some 123D catch to get some good 3D scans and then I can print out most of the hard to find parts, like the pucks, etc.

  10. #10
    Member smcguiga's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2015

    Location:  Northport, AL

    Posts:    74

    My VIN:    7122

    I think I am finally ready to make some molds. The oil separator model (thanks Steven Maguire for the measurements and pics) has removable dowel pieces for the pipes so I will just mold the base. Question now is what material should I use for casting. I'm thinking it would be good to tint the material the blue/gray for the boxes and of course black for the oil separator.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •