FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: P J Grady Europe : non-destructive BTTF prop kit

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

P J Grady Europe : non-destructive BTTF prop kit

When discussion of BTTF conversions comes up, I often mention the P J Grady Europe kits made by Chris Nicholsson. These were fully stainless, quite accurate and to the best of my knowledge the only prop kit that required no holes drilled or modification of the existing car at all. They mount using semi-concealed brackets from existing bolt holes and can be installed or removed in under an hour. Several people have PMed me asking about these; sadly since the former maintainer of the P J Grady Europe web site left there hasn't been an online store or much news available on their site.

I discussed this and other projects with Chris during our trip to DMC Europe this week, and I can confirm that he is thinking of doing a short run of an updated kit over the winter or early next year, if there is sufficient interest. The revised design features fully welded stainless steel flux bands, rear deck, vents and reactor base. However the flux boxes and wormhole emitter are now fibreglass for reduced weight and closer match to the original prop contours. This is not a complete turnkey kit of the kind Bruce Coloumbe used to offer; rear deck detailing is left to the installer. However it is an ideal option for owners who want to keep the ability to go back to the original car and are happy to do the final touches themselves.

Chris N asked me to post these provisional details to relevant forums, but he said to stress that final pricing and availability depends on how many people sign up.

Front Flux Band : $1200 / £770 : includes stainless band with welded stainless mesh, 2 x fibreglass flux boxes (unpainted black), stainless flux box plates with bolts, stainless mounting brackets.
    Rear Flux Band : $2100 / £1340 : includes 2 x rear stainless bands with welded stainless mesh, 4 x fibreglass flux boxes (unpainted black), stainless flux box plates with bolts, fibreglass wormhole emitter (unpainted black), stainless mounting brackets.
    Rear Deck : $2000 / £1270 : includes stainless deck with spaceframe support structure, stainless vents with optional removal lower pieces (to uncover lights for street legality), rear hose mounting boxes in stainless, stainless bulkhead covering rear window (optional but recommended), forward crossover pipe mounting boxes in fibreglass, your choice of plutonium reactor base or Mr Fusion mounting base in stainless.

Order the full set and Chris will include 2 x stainless side cable tubes with mounting brackets. Collect from Canvey Island UK or shipping by courier at cost. Installation can be arranged at P J Grady Europe or US, but anyone who can use a socket wrench shouldn't need it.

Not included : flexible hoses, cables, HV connectors, rear deck detailing e.g. capacitors, 'pac men', green tubes, heatsinks, janitol heater, orange tube, Mr Fusion or plutonium reactor top piece / lid. You can get reproductions of these from 'Videobob', source originals from various places or make your own. Flux boxes supplied unpainted as there is some variation in preferred colour.

Please PM me if you're interested, and I'll put you on the list. There will be a deposit needed prior to production. I'd like to stress that I am not in any way affiliated with P J Grady Europe and will not be involved in payment for or design/build of this kit. I'm just helping Chris out with promoting it since he doesn't have decent Internet connectivity at the moment. I will relay any questions about the kit to Chris and post answers back here as soon as I have them. Details and photos of the original run of kits can be found here; Chris assures me that the second run will be even better.

P.S. Fibreglass front and rear fascias will also be available next year but as yet there's no pricing; still working out some details such as moulding the rear DeLorean logo. Again I can register interest and try and get a price if people want them.
    Last edited by Starglider; 08-18-2013 at 10:30 AM.

My VIN:    2848

do you have any photos of the first kits on the cars and off?
    -alex
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    do you have any photos of the first kits on the cars and off?
    Only old and tiny ones unfortunately; see link in first post, also some here. Chris Parnham's replica turned out well and Chris N has been refining the design since, so I'm confident it will be screen accurate (except for retaining the rear window).

Four people (including me) are now on the list for the kit. I forgot to mention that the rubber flux band mounting brackets are included, although some of them are just decorative in this mounting scheme.

So it's $5300 for everything or is there a discount for buying everything?
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Not everything. All the expensive stuff in the back is not included. (Janitrol heater, Mr. fusion or Plutonium chamber, etc)

So you drill into the fiberglass for the hockey pucks and green tubes etc.?
    -Alex

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

So you drill into the fiberglass for the hockey pucks and green tubes etc.?
    Absolutely NO DRILLING!
    Its all made with existing mounting position. I suppose he is selling a base for those hockey pucks etc

My VIN:    6125

Why on earth would he make the flux bands and rear deck out of stainless?? The originals are all aluminum and heavy enough as it is. I can't even imagine how much they weigh made out of SS. Not to mention the additional cost of SS instead of using aluminum.

And a big word of caution calling anything 'screen accurate'. Unless the dimensions exactly match the originals then that is false advertising. "As close to screen accurate as possible" would be a better choice of words.
    Last edited by Mark D; 08-19-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Club(s):  

Chris said he'd include the under-sill wiring tubes with mounts for anyone buying the full set.

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS
    All the expensive stuff in the back is not included. (Janitrol heater, Mr. fusion or Plutonium chamber, etc)
    Well, how much you want to spend on that stuff is up to each owner, originals vs replicas vs homemade etc. To the best of my knowledge the full exterior prop kit that used to be available (from another vendor) was almost twice this price, so it seems reasonable to me.

Absolutely NO DRILLING! Its all made with existing mounting position. I suppose he is selling a base for those hockey pucks etc
    Yes the rear deck part extends over the pontoon where the base of the other props go, no drilling required.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D
    Why on earth would he make the flux bands and rear deck out of stainless??
    For the flux bands, because stainless is stronger and more resistant to rocks/chips/scratches. For the rear deck I don't know.

And a big word of caution calling anything 'screen accurate'.
    No conversion that leaves the rear window in place is strictly screen accurate, but Chris is a good craftsman and has lots of references, so I'm sure it will be as close as possible given the rear window and fully removable constraints.
    Last edited by Starglider; 08-19-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Rear deck parts

If anyone is looking for other parts to complete this conversion, I can supply:

Orange Tube - original part still in original boxes
    Janitrol Replica
    Hockey Pucks
    Crossover Tube

regards

Brad

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast