FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buying parts for my Delorean

Club(s):   (DCF)

Buying parts for my Delorean

I have some parts to buy for my 1981 Delorean and as I see it the best places to get them are from DMC, Special T, and Delorean industries? Are parts better from one place or another. For example, Special T says their VCG are better than DMC because they are thicker? Any thoughts on this as a general rule of thumb?

Thanks,

jlaviola

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

What is VCG? Valve Cover Gaskets?

You will find that the vendors all have their own strengths and weaknesses. DMCH and its affiliates are the main source of NOS parts, where independent vendors such as PJ Grady, DeLorean Industries, and SpecialTAuto offer things that DMCH doesn't. For example, sometimes buying NOS rubber parts like A/C lines is not the best option if you are converting to R134a. In that case, you would probably want newer barrier hoses from one of the independent guys.

Prices can vary as well. The best thing you can do is to shop around and find the best option for the task at hand. One thing that all the vendors share is the capacity for technical assistance if you need it when installing a part.

If you search the forum, you will likely find several threads related to the job you are doing, and can glean some good information that way.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Valve cover gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    What is VCG? Valve Cover Gaskets?

You will find that the vendors all have their own strengths and weaknesses. DMCH and its affiliates are the main source of NOS parts, where independent vendors such as PJ Grady, DeLorean Industries, and SpecialTAuto offer things that DMCH doesn't. For example, sometimes buying NOS rubber parts like A/C lines is not the best option if you are converting to R134a. In that case, you would probably want newer barrier hoses from one of the independent guys.

Prices can vary as well. The best thing you can do is to shop around and find the best option for the task at hand. One thing that all the vendors share is the capacity for technical assistance if you need it when installing a part.

If you search the forum, you will likely find several threads related to the job you are doing, and can glean some good information that way.

Yes, Valve cover gaskets.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

It's a decent list so far. I've used almost all of those and some others as well. Have yet to receive a substandard part from anybody.

Add P.J. Grady to the list of first-call vendors.
    Don't look for a big online catalog yet. Phone them instead.

Your question about who sells 'best parts' is difficult to answer. Very subjective.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Delorean parts

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It's a decent list so far. I've used almost all of those and some others as well. Have yet to receive a substandard part from anybody.

Add P.J. Grady to the list of first-call vendors.
    Don't look for a big online catalog yet. Phone them instead.

Your question about who sells 'best parts' is difficult to answer. Very subjective.
    Well, I hear a lot about how some of the parts from DMC are old and have been sitting in a warehouse for years so you should go to other places where the parts are newer or are better made. I am just trying to feel my way. In this case, I need an oil pressure sensor, engine mounts, an oil sender and the valve cover gaskets. I need some oil filters too. Special T seems to have the best deal on those, tho (6 for $30).

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

OP - you will normally get a larger response if you post questions in the General Discussion area as many forum members will only check that sub-forum first.

The FAQ subforum, like the FAQ section on any other website is to look up answers to "Frequently Asked Questions" not to ask fresh ones
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by jlaviola View Post
    Well, I hear a lot about how some of the parts from DMC are old and have been sitting in a warehouse for years so you should go to other places where the parts are newer or are better made. I am just trying to feel my way. In this case, I need an oil pressure sensor, engine mounts, an oil sender and the valve cover gaskets. I need some oil filters too. Special T seems to have the best deal on those, tho (6 for $30).
    I haven't yet ordered from Special T; although I've heard a mixture of good and bad reviews, I also haven't heard of him offering any support to the owners. If you're a new owner, it's extremely helpful to get a little extra help if/when you're not sure about something. DMC Midwest, Rob Grady, and DPI Josh are [I think] the three most popular and I've found them all to be very nice & helpful. Saving a few dollars is not always good value, I usually only pay attention on "big-ticket" items. I'll share a wordy example after this thread gets moved....

In reference to old parts: I stay away from NOS plastic or rubber whenever possible, but not all the DMC parts are old....they have a lot of "new replacement" parts. For example: DMCMW's cooling hose kit is new stuff...

My VIN:    10309

I would say that between DMCH and Special T (now called Delorean Auto Parts) you can get any available part. So it's a matter of taste in some cases, DMCH sells seat covers with wrinkles sewn into the seams while DAP is more of the original pattern and also has two tone and even alligator covers. I find DAP to have items not sold by DMCH such as 2 piece a/c hoses, recovered binnacles, heavy duty radiators all metal, new style relays, go to their website and look through. As far as over the phone help no one beats John Hervey he will blast you with information of things to try, he has helped me several times but in fairness I never called DMCH.

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

DMCH and DMCMW, never steered me wrong. I have some Special T parts from the previous owner (I'm the 2nd owner), and those parts, both on and off the car look to be pretty good.

But like others have said, it's all subjective. For me, I don't let price sway me. With this car you pay for the best that you can get, It will save you more pain down the road. Also having a good dry storage place helps to store the car in.

--Doug
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

"Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

My VIN:    17009

DO NOT BUY FROM SPECIAL T AUTO, you have been warned..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast