FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K&N performance air filter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Club(s):   (DCF)

K&N performance air filter

Has anyone used the K&N performance air filter with their Delorean and do you think it has made a difference?

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...filter-K&N.jpg

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by jlaviola View Post
    Has anyone used the K&N performance air filter with their Delorean and do you think it has made a difference?

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...filter-K&N.jpg
    I fitted one to mine last month before a rolling road test. No improvement in performance was recorded on the dyno, compared to a previous result from July.

My VIN:    3997

I just like that I can clean it VS buying new ones.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

No noticeable difference. I probably wouldn't run one in a desert.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Only real noticeable difference would be if you have a cold air intake which adds about 6hp overall.
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    16409

If people are interested, you better get one now. Every ebay seller that had them listed said they did not have any in stock and that they have been discontinued. Not sure why sellers have products listed on eBay but now actually have them in stock.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I have had mine 8 years. There is no performance gain and there are studies that show the K&N pretty much sucks as a filter and OE filters provide far super filtration and just as much air movement. If my car saw more than a few thousand miles a year I would consider just using a paper element, but as long as it's driven sparingly I will keep using it. Sure you just clean and re oil every so often but popping the top and dropping in a new paper filter would be much easier.
    In short I could take it or leave it.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    Only real noticeable difference would be if you have a cold air intake which adds about 6hp overall.
    Yeah eliminating the stock hot/cold mixer valve on the intake is going to have a greater effect than swapping the filter to a K&N. Keep your paper filter clean w/ a cold air intake and you'll be doing better than a stock setup by a few HP. I've run K&N filters in the past on other cars and have eventually gone back to stock filters and just change them more frequently. I'm over the whole cleaning and re-oiling thing.

My VIN:    6585

There are conflicting stories everywhere about filtration, though most stories are from people stating that after installing a K&N filter they have dust and other crap inside of their intakes.

Honestly, while I do operate my cars in the desert with occasional dust storms, and this is a sizable concern for me, there is larger factor at play here. It's not even that by K&N's own words, they state their filters have no claims to increased power of fuel economy. It's also not that these things seem to be more expensive. I mean, $60 on average for the filter, and then another $20 for cleaning products which only last who knows how long means that with daily driving I have to wait at least 2 years before I see any ROI. And they can't be better for the environment since the cleaning products generate so much more landfill waste (and I can cut the paper elements out for recycling if I really want to feel green). No, it's not that either. Simply put: I'm too busy to screw with this crap.

I have TONS of other stuff I need to be doing on my day off. So I'm not exactly thrilled about the prospect of having to wash, dry, and then re-oil a filter. And possibly have to install it with "sealing grease". Why go through all of that when I can just get a paper one that pops right in so I can be done with it. I have other things to do.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

It's my understanding that you do not have to do any cleaning with the K&N Filter until approx 50,000 miles. Of course living in the desert is probably a different story.
    Any way, I've been running mine for a few years - can't say its been better or worse.

Cheer
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast