FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: K&N performance air filter

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

I just ordered a K&N air filter for 5052. However, my choices were very limited as K&N is pretty much the only company that makes an air filter for the uniquely sized Peugeot 604 air cleaner. The original Peugeot style filters were a foam rubber, thus NOS examples are literally turning to dust!

My VIN:    16409

UPDATE - K&N Air Filter

It seems that K&N has discontinued their 33-2726 part number. It hasn't been available for a few years. I've been interested to see if there is a K&N filter for some other car that fits the DeLorean. I measured a NOS filter and used K&N's online catalog to match up the dimensions to other K&N part numbers. I found a filter for a late model Mercedes C class fits the DeLorean air box. Its part number 33-3072. It fits snugly and I don't see there being any issues.

F2E4B520-6048-47E4-BBC6-7BC0F5A8D087.jpg

D3468CCC-9E84-4BB3-B738-46ED04D12318.jpg

FF181649-2371-4765-8FC5-F218D2808AAA.jpg
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 05-17-2019 at 01:52 AM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Just my opinion, but having used K & N filters on other cars, they are expensive and any "performance" gains are so minute as to be undetectable. The only way they make sense is if you put a lot of miles on and instead of replacing them you can clean them and reuse them. Most Delorean owners don't put that kind of mileage on their cars and air filters are not expensive. The other problem is if you have the car serviced and they don't know it is a K & N and is cleanable, they will just throw it away and stick a new one in. K & N used to give you stickers so you could put it on the air cleaner so everyone knows it is a K & N but they don't seem to be doing that anymore.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I don't know why I'm surprised anymore, that people shoot down something that someone else went through lengths to find and help the community with.

But anyway, on a + note; I may not longer be running the stock PRV but when I did, and taking performance aside, I DID run a K&N filter for at least a decade. That is ONE filter, for at least 10 years, of course with cleaning. They hold up well and to me, was worth it so, thanks for finding that!
    Last edited by dn010; 05-17-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I don't know why I'm surprised anymore, that people shoot down something that someone else went through lengths to find and help the community with.

Nobody is shooting anyone down. The op asked for opinions and experiences. He got what I consider very truthful and fair assessments with both pros and cons. WTF did you want to hear?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It is not about appreciation, I was only making the alternate argument against using them. I would offer that if you used an ordinary filter and changed it as necessary, it would not have cost any more than that K & N filter and the cleaning kit. We aren't even figuring the time you spend cleaning it. If you are really trying to improve the breathing of the motor you would change out the whole induction system, it is very restrictive.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

You're about 3 years late.
    -----Dan B.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    You're about 3 years late.
    Last edited by Michael; 05-17-2019 at 02:19 PM.

My VIN:    16409

The only reason why I did all this was because I had some local club guys ask me about K&N filters. Bottom line they weren't being made anymore for our cars, and I found a filter that would fit. Price of something doesn't always dictate what people buy. If they want something they will buy it.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Just my opinion, but having used K & N filters on other cars, they are expensive and any "performance" gains are so minute as to be undetectable.
    Agreed, I had my car on a dyno a number of years ago and performed a back-to-back test running standard filter vs a K&N filter. There was literally zero difference to power output between the two runs. The only benefit to a K&N filter in our application is the ability to clean and reuse them. Personally I went back to using a standard filter.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast