FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Sporadic Brake Lights

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

Sporadic Brake Lights

Hey everyone, i did a search first and didn't see anyone else with this exact problem. My brake lights have become very inconsistent. When pressing the brake pedal say 10 times, twice they might not come on at all, twice they will come on super bright, and 6 times they will come on very very dim. I've got DMCH replacement board with LEDs which I bought after I noticed the brake lights sometimes not coming on with the OEM boards. I bought a replacement brake switch but since it's pretty tricky to replace I wanted to see what it else it may be first. I've also been told it could be a bad ground. Thoughts/suggestions?
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by aipri View Post
    Hey everyone, i did a search first and didn't see anyone else with this exact problem. My brake lights have become very inconsistent. When pressing the brake pedal say 10 times, twice they might not come on at all, twice they will come on super bright, and 6 times they will come on very very dim. I've got DMCH replacement board with LEDs which I bought after I noticed the brake lights sometimes not coming on with the OEM boards. I bought a replacement brake switch but since it's pretty tricky to replace I wanted to see what it else it may be first. I've also been told it could be a bad ground. Thoughts/suggestions?
    Unplug the two wires from the switch and jump them together. If the lights stay on solid, replace the switch. If not, check the wiring at the edged of the boards and at the bulkhead near the ignition coil. Also make sure that someone didn't crimp the wiring harness behind the header bottle if installing a metal bottle. Happens all the time.

The brake light switch is not tricky to replace.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

Thanks for the quick response Dave. I meant to say the switch seems tricky to get to. Mine has a cover over it and it's at a funny angle. Great suggestions though!
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5