FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: WTB - DMC-12 With LS Swap

My VIN:    2894

Quote Originally Posted by at88mph View Post
    Unfortunately I don't see ANY way a LS series mated to an auto trans will fit into the DeLorean frame period. This is just my opinion bc as many said, if you have enough money....but frame wise, I don't see it. When I was doing my swap back in '01, I wanted to put a LS6 into mine. (Mine was a auto DMC at the time) With the custom bell housing (or even the bellhousing shown above; which I believe is an auto setup) mated to that Porsche transaxle, I don't see all that fitting into the DeLorean engine/trans area.

With my 4.3 mated to the auto, I had to run a short water pump and STILL had to notch the rear fascia just to get it to fit. However, that being said, when the auto trans crapped out on me, and I found the Porsche 915 transaxle, the bell housing size went to roughly 3/4 of an inch!!! PLENTLY of room to drop a LS series engine in there now with the manual 915 but the 4.3 has so far been COMPLETELY bullet proof and....well, if it ain't broke I'm not gonna fix it. I have decent power and no issues whatsoever but when the 4.3 does finally go, I do have a spare LS1 engine that I'll drop in at that time. (recently swapped out my LS1 in the Vette so I have the spare)

So in short, if you're lookin at a LS series engine, manual is the way to go and if you go stock DMC transaxle, your weak point is going to be the input shaft. If you go with a 915 or G50 Porsche trans, you'll be good to go.

Hope this helps
    Even with my short time in this swap world, I have to 2nd and 3rd the notion that there's no way you're mating an LS with any auto trans other than the Delorean on the original frame. I wanted to do the same and there simply isn't the room. And the original Delorean auto trans will be destroyed by an LS... attempting it is beyond foolish. Manual is the only way to handle that power in that chassis long term... hell, even short term.
    CEO at RentTheDelorean.com
    Dreamer at FastestDeloreanInTheWorld.com
    First & Longest Running Video Blogger at TheOfficialJourney.com ( 1999-2022 )

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamKontras View Post
    Even with my short time in this swap world, I have to 2nd and 3rd the notion that there's no way you're mating an LS with any auto trans other than the Delorean on the original frame. I wanted to do the same and there simply isn't the room. And the original Delorean auto trans will be destroyed by an LS... attempting it is beyond foolish. Manual is the only way to handle that power in that chassis long term... hell, even short term.
    Agreed, I've looked at a lot of different automatics trying to come up with something. Best I could consider is one of the Porsche automatics from the 90s, which I still think you'd have to heavily modify the frame for. Plus, even then, my understanding is due to the lack of computer communication, they will only operate as a "shiftronic" transmission rather than an automatic that shifts on its own. Not worth the effort in my book.

My VIN:    03579

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Are any of the LS swapped guys selling any of the basic parts to make the swap? Flywheel clutch assembly, adaptor plate, ect? Just curious. The problem with most of the swapped cars is the people that have done them want a fortune for the necessary parts. Listen, I know it takes a lot of R&D, but having a reasonable priced part or even selling the cad files could better open the doors for better swaps, and maybe a bit of refinement from the original.

My VIN:    4519

I've decided to sell Josh from Canada's badass swap; he has no knowledge of this, so I appreciate if we can keep it on the DL.

We'll meet somewhere near the border after dark, please wear dark clothes and bring your own ski mask.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Ok Ill keep quiet. Dont want to mess up your plan. I have a ski mask too, can I join?

Will, I sent you a PM

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Ok Ill keep quiet. Dont want to mess up your plan. I have a ski mask too, can I join?

ARRRGGHHH...! Who told him?!!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    ARRRGGHHH...! Who told him?!!
    ce95bef30f0fe1b77135991cac5dfb3c402688c5d18f0cfa90d467ab901ca9c2.jpg
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4