Quote Originally Posted by at88mph View Post
Unfortunately I don't see ANY way a LS series mated to an auto trans will fit into the DeLorean frame period. This is just my opinion bc as many said, if you have enough money....but frame wise, I don't see it. When I was doing my swap back in '01, I wanted to put a LS6 into mine. (Mine was a auto DMC at the time) With the custom bell housing (or even the bellhousing shown above; which I believe is an auto setup) mated to that Porsche transaxle, I don't see all that fitting into the DeLorean engine/trans area.

With my 4.3 mated to the auto, I had to run a short water pump and STILL had to notch the rear fascia just to get it to fit. However, that being said, when the auto trans crapped out on me, and I found the Porsche 915 transaxle, the bell housing size went to roughly 3/4 of an inch!!! PLENTLY of room to drop a LS series engine in there now with the manual 915 but the 4.3 has so far been COMPLETELY bullet proof and....well, if it ain't broke I'm not gonna fix it. I have decent power and no issues whatsoever but when the 4.3 does finally go, I do have a spare LS1 engine that I'll drop in at that time. (recently swapped out my LS1 in the Vette so I have the spare)

So in short, if you're lookin at a LS series engine, manual is the way to go and if you go stock DMC transaxle, your weak point is going to be the input shaft. If you go with a 915 or G50 Porsche trans, you'll be good to go.

Hope this helps
Even with my short time in this swap world, I have to 2nd and 3rd the notion that there's no way you're mating an LS with any auto trans other than the Delorean on the original frame. I wanted to do the same and there simply isn't the room. And the original Delorean auto trans will be destroyed by an LS... attempting it is beyond foolish. Manual is the only way to handle that power in that chassis long term... hell, even short term.