FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: WTB - DMC-12 With LS Swap

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I know someone who has a PT Cruiser AT that he isn't using at the moment
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I think about $80k oughta do it.
    10969201.jpg
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I know someone who has a PT Cruiser AT that he isn't using at the moment
    You're joking, but I have seriously thought about what it would take to get that fourth gear in my D.

But that isn't the way to do it. Apart from having a fourth gear, it wouldn't be much of an improvement over the Renault 4141. If memory serves, the 41TE (which is in my PT) can handle ~200HP and ~200 lb./ft. of torque without modifications. (Same transaxle was used in N/A and boosted 4-cylinders, plus the pre-Pentastar-era 2.7L and 3.0L V6.) You can find guides for DIY bolstering the 41TE on Mopar modding websites/forums. But again, there's time and money vs. reality.

Besides which, though I'd love to have overdrive in #2613, the transaxle in my PT was mated to a transversely-mounted engine in the front of a front-wheel-drive car. There would be far too much engineering involved for me to make that kind of a swap. I don't have the tools, knowledge, or talent for that.
    Last edited by Farrar; 09-05-2016 at 07:30 PM.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Good luck on the automatic. An LS mated to an automatic is a good way to make small parts out of big parts.
    Josh can destroy them one after the other...lol!

Wow, I have to say reading the comments here are quite condescending. I am simply asking if someone here in the forum with the talent would be interested in a project like this. I personally do not have the talent to do a project like this, so I am simply inquiring if anyone is interested for hire to do so. I understand having an AT would be challenging, however I would like for my wife to be able to drive the car as well.

After reading through many of the threads, it is evident there are some members here with crazy good talent. I am VERY impressed by them.

I am a serious car collector and have budgeted up to $100k for a build of this magnitude. Like many of you, I have pined to have a DMC-12 since the mid-80's. I just prefer classic cars which have been restomodded. I am not saying we need to only go with an LS engine, I am open to other options as well.

Josh
    Last edited by beatboy77; 09-05-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Josh, there is a member here who had a VW vr6 engine installed in his car by an outfit that specializes in these custom builds. I'm sure someone knows who this is and I even contacted the shop who did the build because I was curious as to what a engine swap would run. I was very impressed by his work I had seen in the pictures and his estimate was extremely reasonable.

I believe (and again I'm going on some pretty dusty memory here) his name was Eddie and his shop was SEO Motorsports.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Josh, there is a member here who had a VW vr6 engine installed in his car by an outfit that specializes in these custom builds. I'm sure someone knows who this is and I even contacted the shop who did the build because I was curious as to what a engine swap would run. I was very impressed by his work I had seen in the pictures and his estimate was extremely reasonable.

I believe (and again I'm going on some pretty dusty memory here) his name was Eddie and his shop was SEO Motorsports.
    Thank You Michael!

Josh

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

If I recall as well, Ed G shut down his shop atleast for the time being to concentrate on family.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post
    Wow, I have to say reading the comments here are quite condescending. I am simply asking if someone here in the forum with the talent would be interested in a project like this. I personally do not have the talent to do a project like this, so I am simply inquiring if anyone is interested for hire to do so. I understand having an AT would be challenging, however I would like for my wife to be able to drive the car as well.

After reading through many of the threads, it is evident there are some members here with crazy good talent. I am VERY impressed by them.

I am a serious car collector and have budgeted up to $100k for a build of this magnitude. Like many of you, I have pined to have a DMC-12 since the mid-80's. I just prefer classic cars which have been restomodded. I am not saying we need to only go with an LS engine, I am open to other options as well.

Josh
    Hi Josh,

As far as I know there are two ls swapped deloreans in N/A, one of them being my car. There are a few more as projects scattered over the world, but all standards.
    Nothing is impossible, Porsche makes some auto gear boxes that could handle the power of a v8. This would be a new avenue in the Delorean LS swap world, so a lot of r&d work would be required. But once again not impossible.
    The thing with engine swaps (especially LS swaps) is there are a lot of people that want one, but do not understand the magnitude of the project. In terms of cost, labour, and the thought that goes into something like this. This kind of explains the tone of this thread.
    Feel free to pm me if you are seriously considering this, I can try my best to help.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    1472

I convinced my wife by getting her in the car reassuring her on whatever she was doing with the clutch and gaz pedal. She likes it very much now (and she is good). I had to do that since all the cars I own are standard. But I understand it is a personal preference. Another thing I did is take her to the track in a high power rear engine car and told her to accelerate and let go of the accelerator while in gear so she could experience the rear of the car getting in the front. This is more difficult to control in a automatic since you can't disengage the engine from the wheel when the rear end goes wild when not familiar with high powered cars. There is a lot of automatic Mustangs on youtube doing just that. LsShuttle1.jpgLsShuttle5.jpgLsShuttle4.jpgLsShuttle2.jpgLsShuttle3.jpgIMG_3171.jpgIMG_3170.jpg
    Last edited by Shuttleman; 09-06-2016 at 01:18 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast