FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Getting the seatbelt off your neck

My VIN:    10644

Getting the seatbelt off your neck

I've always been annoyed that the seatbelt mounts so high on the quarter panel, causing the belt to always rub my neck. I tried removing the bracket, routing the seatbelt straight out of the quarter panel and over my shoulder and it felt great. However, because of the angle, it doesn't smoothly extend and retract. It seems that this could be solved either by replacing the bracket with a long rigid one that still bolts high on the quarter panel (but lowers the point that the belt threads through) or by adding another bracket for the belt to thread to (maybe attached to the seat back).

Before I start tinkering, are there safety considerations that I haven't though of, or has anyone else made something similar?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Anything you do must be substantial enough to take the large loads that will occur during an accident. Moving the mount involves a lot of work if it is even possible. Maybe a clip to hold the belt loose so it isn't on your neck? Or a pad to wrap around the belt?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10907

Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried just putting one of those seat belt pads on it? I've got one on mine and it's not bad (although I'm probably a bit shorter than you.) Might be worth a shot before you go to the effort of messing with the actual belt...

My VIN:    6585

Wear a collared shirt, and tuck in under so that the cloth protects your neck. It's the cheapest, and easiest solution.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5875

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOI)

I have a seat belt pad on mine - works like a charm.
    Eric
    1981/Grey/Manual/Grooved Hood/Martin Lowering Springs/SPEC I Exhaust/Ice Cold R134 AC

Ontario Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plates
    www.YOMplates.ca

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

http://store.delorean.com/p-10096-mt...lt-fixing.aspx is the anchor in the body that actually holds the belt in place (this one shows for the bottom on the parts illustration but they are the same). You can see this from outside the car if you remove the small vent between the door and the rear side panel.

We've had to replace one or two of the bottom ones due to corrosion. That's pretty spooky, not something I really want to rely on when rusted half away. It is something to keep an eye on BTW.

You could theoretically buy another cup, cut a new hole in the fiberglass, and move up the mounting point (leaving a gaping hole in your non-replaceable interior side panel). BUT - there is no guarantee that any reinforcing designed into the fiberglass is present 3 inches higher in the body, and you are drilling a rather large hole into a structural member of the car. This stuff tends to be pretty tightly engineered (even by Lotus!) so you are in very uncharted waters here.

I wouldn't do it, and wouldn't do it on a customer car either.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10644

It sounds like this might do the trick. http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo...t-belt-eb.html

My VIN:    10201

Just use a clip that will hold it a bit further back. I used to have something similar when I was a kid and they do a decent jobs of keeping the belt off your neck.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterlink-Ma...EV03HGESEXTVGS

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Getting the seatbelt off your neck

My wife uses the clip on adjuster in the D and daily drivers. Works like charm.
    We recently picked up new set at O'reillys.

http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/www.or...0332&ppt=C0092

Dennis
    Last edited by DMC5180; 09-07-2016 at 10:30 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.