FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's your D worth to you?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

What's your D worth to you?

Forget eBay, Craigslist, Barrett Jackson etc.

What (if any) is the price point you have at which your hand over the keys and sell the car?

There's a real difference between what my car would sell for vs the value I place on it.

The magic number for me for the past few years is $75k. I estimate I have well over 2500 hours of work into the car over the last 6 years. I'm afraid to add up the total amount invested, but I'm sure it's north of $35k.

At $50k, I'd think long and hard about it. At $75k, it's gone.

You?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Similar #

I'm in the same price range. At $50k, I'd think long and hard about it but at $75k, it's gone. With under 7,500 original miles and all the hand written receipts/work orders from PJ Grady related to 15500, I know it would be close to impossible to find a similar Delorean again. Hopefully, when my son gets it after I'm dead, he won't cash out.
    Kirk

My VIN:    5875

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOI)

Yep ^ this above. My car will be willed to my son too. It's priceless to me after a lifetime of trying to obtain it. I'd have to say that no reasonable number would make me sell it.
    Eric
    1981/Grey/Manual/Grooved Hood/Martin Lowering Springs/SPEC I Exhaust/Ice Cold R134 AC

Ontario Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plates
    www.YOMplates.ca

My VIN:    6313

Just this weekend my wife said...

"You better stay healthy, because the first thing that's going if you die is that DeLorean, and I'm going to sell it for well below value to someone who'll probably treat it like dirt."

So she either hates the car or loves me, can't tell which.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    3937

Mine would be gone for $50k CAD. I'd probably seriously consider down to about $40k CAD. If life gets in the way, maybe less than that.

That's partly based on what I see them being sold for, what I'm in for (irrelevant for the most part) and what I might consider fair. Mine is in nice shape, not perfect, but better than some of the others I've seen.

My number might end up being lower than what others have said if for no other reason than I think I'd like to move on to another hobby pretty soon. That, or just to have the freedom again of going some places and not needing to house so much stuff (and extra cars). It's amazing how many living arrangements you automatically rule out when you have to have a big, separate garage attached to the house for putting something like a DeLorean in it.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    Just this weekend my wife said...

"You better stay healthy, because the first thing that's going if you die is that DeLorean, and I'm going to sell it for well below value to someone who'll probably treat it like dirt."

So she either hates the car or loves me, can't tell which.
    Haha!

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I've often thought about this one. I'm still not sure what the number would be for each car, but here it goes for fun....

888 ( low miles original example, very nice for such an early car, about $60,000).

16128. This car has done it all, an extremely nice well sorted example built for daily driving, now sporting efi and turbos. Nearly every major system updated to the best available. $120K.

5000. One of the best examples on the planet before the tear down, this is still a project underway. Stainless everything including the chassis, top of the line efi, turbos (liquid intercoled with meth injection). Signed by JZD. They just don't get any better than this one. $175K.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

My number might end up being lower than what others have said if for no other reason than I think I'd like to move on to another hobby pretty soon. That, or just to have the freedom again of going some places and not needing to house so much stuff (and extra cars). It's amazing how many living arrangements you automatically rule out when you have to have a big, separate garage attached to the house for putting something like a DeLorean in it.
    Interesting you say that, Jonathan. Parking out here in Clayton (a new part of Surrey, BC) is so minimal. We have a 2 car garage, but three cars. For the last year, I was actually able to get three cars in to the garage by turning my wifes MX5 (small car!) sideways! At any rate, now that my wife is back to work we have all three cars insured again and we're back to finding space on the street which is often unavailable. This can be stressful and often makes me want to get rid of a car, and it would HAVE to be the DMC since its superfluous.

On top of that, there's a beauty to being invisible that I often miss. I had some burn out in the last year which is also one of the reasons I'm selling off and throwing out all my parts. My fellow DMC friends have sold or moved so it has gotten a little quiet, too. Despite all this, I still love driving it when i get the chance. Well have to see what the future brings.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10201

Mine isnt anywhere near as nice as some of the others described in this thread, but it'd take at least $50k. It's still a dream car and I dont know what I'd do without it. Plus the only reason I'd want that kind of money is to put it into the Delorean or delorean related expenses.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'd sell mine for $50k, then buy another one for $25k and spend the other $25k on repairs and upgrades.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast