FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's your D worth to you?

My VIN:    10907

Priceless.

Seriously though, maybe I'd consider it for enough to buy one of the remanufactured ones that's perfect in every way, but the one I've got took me 1400 miles without the assistance of a tow truck the first time I ever drove it, so I kind of figure, why roll the dice with a different one?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The value of the car and the value to me are the same number but I'm not saying.

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Mine's spent most of this year in its garage or driveway for various reasons (2015 BTTF burnout, taking the reins of the family business after the death of my father in January, the admitted novelty of my new car) but I still don't tire of it. It's run well enough these last eight years that I'd hop in it now and drive any distance without worry. If I sold it, I'd only turn around and buy another one, and what's the point of that? I'll stick with the car I know.

With the aforementioned second car, each of my kids have one willed to them when I die. They love my cars, and have no desire to see them go. They're really family heirlooms. What value can you really put on that?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Cory W View Post
    They love my cars, and have no desire to see them go. They're really family heirlooms. What value can you really put on that?
    I hear you. I would love to see my daughter turn wrenches some day and pass on my car to her.

In a similar vein, my dad has a 1987 300zx. Bought it brand new. The 87 and 88's are often considered the black sheep of the Z cars, but i loved the car growing up and my dad never sold it for that reason. It's hardly worth $3k, but the sentimental value is priceless.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I hear you. I would love to see my daughter turn wrenches some day and pass on my car to her.

In a similar vein, my dad has a 1987 300zx. Bought it brand new. The 87 and 88's are often considered the black sheep of the Z cars, but i loved the car growing up and my dad never sold it for that reason. It's hardly worth $3k, but the sentimental value is priceless.
    I love Z 31's especially the end models because of the single long tail light lens and redefined bodywork. If you ask me, those are everything a 280Z should be. The Z32 however is an entirely different beast. IMO the Z32's are the best Z car built to date.

My VIN:    5312

All of the money I have put into mine, but I would probably sell for 40k just because...you know id like to start a retirement fund and not have to worry about money. But I love my car so Much =/

My VIN:    3997

I would take $50,000 for mine if someone had cash in hand.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Interesting you say that, Jonathan. Parking out here in Clayton (a new part of Surrey, BC) is so minimal. We have a 2 car garage, but three cars. For the last year, I was actually able to get three cars in to the garage by turning my wifes MX5 (small car!) sideways! At any rate, now that my wife is back to work we have all three cars insured again and we're back to finding space on the street which is often unavailable. This can be stressful and often makes me want to get rid of a car, and it would HAVE to be the DMC since its superfluous.

On top of that, there's a beauty to being invisible that I often miss. I had some burn out in the last year which is also one of the reasons I'm selling off and throwing out all my parts. My fellow DMC friends have sold or moved so it has gotten a little quiet, too. Despite all this, I still love driving it when i get the chance. Well have to see what the future brings.
    If there is one thing you only seem to learn from experience, but that I wish I somehow knew in advance, this is it. And if I knew the extent of it 10 years ago, and had a crystal ball to see what lay ahead, I don't imagine I'd have bought the car at all.

I've found the attention quite overwhelming at times. Knowing people are stopping to stare at you, out on the road, or even walking past your garage. I think it's also started to make me feel a little too "watched" even when the DeLorean isn't in the picture. Like some sort of Matrix/Truman Show effect.

We mention sometimes needing thick skin to own one of these cars, and while I won't say you must have thick skin versus thin, I will say it can be a real impact on whether you enjoy owning the car. I think most everyone can understand that when everything is going great for you, none of the other stuff bothers you and it's all "water off a duck's back." Conversely, when life is more of a struggle, almost any or all of the DeLorean owning stuff can bother you. And bother you intensely and incessantly. Call it "life's variable effect on skin thickness" or something like that.

Think of it this way: Some buddies are playing poker and you have one guy at the table that can do no wrong and he has a mountain of chips in front of him. A different guy has almost no chips in front of him as it just isn't his night. The guy with all the chips is laughing and having fun and really enjoying the game. The guy at the other end of the spectrum isn't having fun or laughing or being his usual jovial self. No calls for him to "relax, have fun" are going to help. He might have better luck tomorrow, but for the time being, it's tough to enjoy the moment for him. And the chip leader is enjoying all of it regardless of the jokes or odd hand he loses. The way things have gone for those guys at the table dictates who's enjoying themselves and who isn't.

Probably more than any other single factor, how everything else is going in life for an owner is going to dictate how well they enjoy owning their car. Not current condition, initial condition, purchase price, ongoing costs, neighbours, fellow owners, car show people. None of that matters as much as all the things outside of DeLorean ownership do.

...you didn't really ask that in this thread, but you did ask what the car is worth to the person owning it. This helps explain why the number might be lower compared to some. It's definitely part of why my perceived worth might be a little on the low side.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 09-07-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4519

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

I've found the attention quite overwhelming at times. .
    Heh - - engineers.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast