FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Another Tire Reorduction Thread

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Another Tire Reorduction Thread

The title should be "Another Tire Reproduction Thread". Dyslexia strikes again!

It's been discussed before, with various manufacturers (Pirelli, BF Goodrich) but this popped up on my screen today:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-jaguar-xj220/

I commented on the Road & Track facebook page already about our particular situation. Doesn't mean anyone at Bridgestone will ever read it, but it raises awareness.

As of this writing, a "helpful soul" suggested new rims. Works for some, not for me.

My next step was a note written to Bridgestone itself, via their website:

"According to respected automotive magazine Road & Track, Bridgestone is planning on developing new tires for the limited production (but prestegious) Jaguar XJ220.

Their online article is provided here:
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-jaguar-xj220/

This inspired me to write the following on social media:
    And meanwhile, thousands of DeLorean owners worldwide can't get a proper matching set of tires because of staggered sizing. They're not particularly unique tires, and don't need a high speed rating, they're just smaller than today's average tire. Front tires are 195/60R14, rear are 235/60R15. Anyone from Bridgestone care to start a conversation with DeLorean Motor Company about that? All we need is one tire available in both of those sizes, and not 225s in the rear, for example.

There are thousands of DeLoreans on the road worldwide, with a majority of them in the United States and Canada. I am an owner myself, and am a believer in all tires being the same on a vehicle.

The sizes in my previous comment are what we, as a community of passionate owners and drivers, would like to see made available in a single tire line, in order to maintain proper sizing, proportion, balance, and performance on each corner of our vehicles.

A DeLorean owner today has two choices: Purchase different tires front to back to maintain the original tire sizes, or purchase smaller tires in the rear (on a rear weight biased car!) in order to find a matching set. The manufacturer who offers a full set in the proper size would see matching DeLorean set sales, as we are essentially a captive market.

DeLorean Motor Company in Humble, Texas, talks of starting small scale "continuation" production in 2017, and I'm certain they would be more than happy to discuss tire purchases and resale for their international customer base with you. They can be reached via contact information on their own website www.delorean.com Other vendors are out there, and would appreciate a factory correct tire size option for their customers as well.

I know I would replace my year old tires for a proper set of four identical tires immediately. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Please consider what this could do for your brand and company in our unique and passionate community, and the additional benefits that could come from being "the exclusive supplier of factory size tires to DeLorean owners worldwide"

Thank you for your consideration."

There's another avenue for the more avid letter writers to try, since a good reason to do so basically rang our doorbell and invited itself in. There are many other points to make as to why this could be a good business case for the company who decides to make the effort, such as economies of scale, but those can be written by somebody else.

Skill level Pro if you find contact info for people who make decisions and contact them directly. If anyone finds an address, post it here!
    Last edited by Cory W; 09-07-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: title note.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I so miss my Michelin Pilots. When the time came I had no choice but to go with Cooper Cobras to maintain matching sidewalls and tread and keep the size stock.

Wish I had bought an extra set of Pilots.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I so miss my Michelin Pilots. When the time came I had no choice but to go with Cooper Cobras to maintain matching sidewalls and tread and keep the size stock.

Wish I had bought an extra set of Pilots.
    Me too. I'm breaking all the rules still rolling on my 10+ year-old Pilots, but the car is driven enough to exercise the rubber but kept indoors/climate controlled. I'm going to hate to see them go when they finally crack or wear out.

One of my saddest days was dumping a set of Pilots that someone had put on a car before parking it for about a decade. They went out-of-round and would never come back, even with hundreds of miles of driving.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Me too. I'm breaking all the rules still rolling on my 10+ year-old Pilots, but the car is driven enough to exercise the rubber but kept indoors/climate controlled. I'm going to hate to see them go when they finally crack or wear out.

One of my saddest days was dumping a set of Pilots that someone had put on a car before parking it for about a decade. They went out-of-round and would never come back, even with hundreds of miles of driving.
    I am also driving on an old set of Pilots and am only keeping them going because of the paltry choices now available. Another place to plead our case is Coker Tires. They may actually listen. In the meantime I bought a new spare *just in case*!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Another place to plead our case is Coker Tires. They may actually listen. In the meantime I bought a new spare *just in case*!
    If I have heard correctly, Coker Tire purchases old tire molds from the rubber companies, and then makes the limited batches. Last time I went to Discount Tire for a set of truck tires, I had the guy look up the DeLorean just to see. Apparently their system lists the source of origin for the old NCTs as Germany. If those molds still exist, they're far across the ocean on another continent. So there would be the first task of locating them, then buying them, and then the logistics of bringing them back across the sea That may not be an economically sound investment for a limited run of tires. Domestically, perhaps a set of Eagle NCTs could be found, but they wouldn't be OEM. They'd be no good for concourse and absolute "purists" and might just put off someone such as Coker who only sell original tires, but they would work for the rest of us.

The big question though is would anyone here be willing to buy old school NCTs, or especially Eagle NCTs even if they were brand new?

Even then there is the whole "wait and see" of what DMCH is going to have for their upcoming replica cars. Which I don't know if DMCH is going to continue with those billet wheels or not. Swapping wheels may very well end up being the only solution for matching tires in the future.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I've been to SEMA show a couple of times, and every time I ask the Coker rep about tires. No joy yet!

Sent from phone
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3937

Nice! You just saved me spending some money.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Same for me as for you and David T. on this one. The Pilots are great. Old now, but great.

Meantime, thanks for buttonholing anybody from Coker at the SEMA show, Dave.

I write to Coker annually and have yet to get a reply, am guessing they have the best throw weight of all of the collector-car tire mfgrs to ever pull this off. If anybody has a back door into Coker let us know - I know the DOA folks are also trying hard to crack this case.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Same for me as for you and David T. on this one. The Pilots are great. Old now, but great.

Meantime, thanks for buttonholing anybody from Coker at the SEMA show, Dave.

I write to Coker annually and have yet to get a reply, am guessing they have the best throw weight of all of the collector-car tire mfgrs to ever pull this off. If anybody has a back door into Coker let us know - I know the DOA folks are also trying hard to crack this case.

This is not a problem unique to Deloreans. Lotus and others have similar issues and eventually someone will step up and service this small market. Do not expect anyone to resurrect the Goodyear NCT's though. I would be happy with a good set of anything but would like to see the Michlen Pilots reproduced. They seem to be the best tire for the Delorean ever produced. In the meantime, if you have to, there are still some choices out there. The pity of it is whatever you buy you will be stuck with for a long time since you will age out of them way before you wear them out.
    David Teitelbaum