FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Antenna Replacement

Power Antenna Replacement

I just went out and pulled my antenna out (it's dead, been dead a long time). I've never seen it before, looks like a "custom" install. When I pulled the charcoal canister off I grabbed the bracket that the power antenna is mounted to and it was incredibly loose. I looked in there and only saw a single stud and nut holding it in:
    AntennaMounted.jpg AntennaNut.jpg AntennaWiring.jpg

I took the nut off and tugged on the assembly and there was something still holding it down. I realized that there was some old rusted iron pipe strap holding it to the bottom of the compartment:
    AntennaBottomMount.jpg

I'm wondering if this is stock or custom. If this is a (bad) custom job, how should this thing be mounted so that it isn't completely loose? It doesn't look like any of the holes in the mounting frame line up with anything else in the compartment...

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

This is the stock antenna bracket for the cars equipped with power antennas:

https://store.delorean.com/p-7251-br...c-antenna.aspx

At less than $20, definitely a fair price!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post

Wow yeah, that's definitely not what mine looks like. I don't suppose you have any photos of it installed? Thanks Patrick.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The factory also used the thinner, galvanized bracket that you have. The power unit you have is not original.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post

This is a really odd piece. I've seen it factory installed in a small handful of cars, I suspect it's only in the late 82, 83s. Most of the cars have a relatively flimsy piece of bent steel with a piece of radio back brace (slotted steel about 3/4" wide) securing it to the bottom of the pontoon.

If you have the time and patience, this part is really good to have but will take some minor modifications to fit a modern power antenna. But once installed it is very secure.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    I just went out and pulled my antenna out (it's dead, been dead a long time). I've never seen it before, looks like a "custom" install. When I pulled the charcoal canister off I grabbed the bracket that the power antenna is mounted to and it was incredibly loose. I looked in there and only saw a single stud and nut holding it in:
    AntennaMounted.jpg AntennaNut.jpg AntennaWiring.jpg

I took the nut off and tugged on the assembly and there was something still holding it down. I realized that there was some old rusted iron pipe strap holding it to the bottom of the compartment:
    AntennaBottomMount.jpg

I'm wondering if this is stock or custom. If this is a (bad) custom job, how should this thing be mounted so that it isn't completely loose? It doesn't look like any of the holes in the mounting frame line up with anything else in the compartment...
    What's your VIN if you don't mind my asking? My car (4456) pretty much has the same thing so I'm pretty sure it's factory.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    What's your VIN if you don't mind my asking? My car (4456) pretty much has the same thing so I'm pretty sure it's factory.

Cheers
    Steven
    Looks like the one in my car (5429) as well.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post

Cheers
    Steven
    My vehicle is 4796, I just picked up a universal replacement power antenna from Napa. I think it's the same one that DMCH sells but it was ~$60 and I drove to the store and bought it tonight.

I'm currently reading through the old threads to determine the best course of action for wiring it up. Based on a post you made it sounds like I need to bypass the clear relay behind the driver's seat.

EDIT
    Did you end up grounding it within the pontoon or did you extend the black wire and run it into the passenger compartment?
    Nevermind italicized, I was halfway through reading your post when I jumped to this response. I see that you connected the ground to the white wire which is tied to the ECU mounting tray.
    Last edited by spikeygg; 09-07-2016 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Correction...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The relay may have already been bypassed because that power unit you took a picture of was not original. Just about all antennas now have the relay built in so you don't need the one behind the driver's seat. Just make sure you fuse the power to the antennae.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    My vehicle is 4796, I just picked up a universal replacement power antenna from Napa. I think it's the same one that DMCH sells but it was ~$60 and I drove to the store and bought it tonight.

I'm currently reading through the old threads to determine the best course of action for wiring it up. Based on a post you made it sounds like I need to bypass the clear relay behind the driver's seat.

EDIT
    Did you end up grounding it within the pontoon or did you extend the black wire and run it into the passenger compartment?
    Nevermind italicized, I was halfway through reading your post when I jumped to this response. I see that you connected the ground to the white wire which is tied to the ECU mounting tray.
    Yeah... That was a puzzler at first. Sounds like you got it sorted.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast