FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Delorean owner Ron Westers yellow Delorean and Concours Delorean destroyed in fire

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Delorean owner Ron Westers yellow Delorean and Concours Delorean destroyed in fire

On Ron's FB page his Deloreans were destroyed in a house fire.

Ron and his family are ok, but the cars are melted beyond repair.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I thought for a minute you might have enough respect and restraint to let him post here when he feels up to it. I saw his FB post about 7 this morning where he posted about it around 2:30 in the morning. One minute later at 2:31 you "break the story" and here you are again to spread the news.

The man just lost half of his home. He will most likely be displaced for weeks if not months. How about instead of gossiping and gawking we show a little respect and just let him make a post here when he is ready.
    Last edited by Michael; 09-12-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

This is also going to find it's way into the Google indexes. Probably not something he wants to see if he ever searches his name.

If I ever lost my car to an accident, I wouldn't want someone posting about it all over the Internet.

Maybe a mod can remove this thread. Let's let the man have some privacy during this unfortunate time.
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Moderators check post #3 please.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Terribly sorry for Ron, that's awful to hear. My sincere condolences.

In regards to the thread, if you search "Ron Westers facebook", his Facebook profile comes up, of which all his posts and photos are public (if you have a Facebook account). This isn't secret or hidden news, and it's not a violation of privacy when he's publicly posted the information himself.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Didn't he also have a little trailer he towed behind his yellow Delorean?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Here are some photos that Ron himself posted and are now shared over every other D website

From what I have read, everyone is OK, but the cars are obviously "toast", as Ron puts it

I don't think Ron is a member on here, and I would limit my interest in the cause to whether "old fuel lines" were involved, which would be of special interest to us all. Beyond that it's up to him what he tells us all.

01529 and 06322-1.jpg01529-13.jpg06322 and 01529-1.jpg06322-13.jpg06322-17.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Screamin-Ye...96774617201058
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    Between VINs

I thought it was a house fire and the cars just happened to be in there. I could be completely wrong.

I figured with the fire burning outside to inside (from the cars perspective) they might be able to be restored given enough time and money. They don't look as bad as I originally thought.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I don't think Ron is a member on here, and I would limit my interest in the cause to whether "old fuel lines" were involved, which would be of special interest to us all.
    Looking at those cars, and other pictures I've seen online, they didn't self-immolate at all. Those were two vehicles that happened to get caught inside of a structure fire. This wasn't at all the cars' fault.

The heat source was completely external, which is why there is minimal damage to the fiberglass underbodies, as well as minimal to no deformation of the stainless steel body panels. Internal damage appears to just be smoke and water damage, and everything else is just ash and debris that fell onto them.

Insurance wise, these cars are a write-off for sure. Restoration wise? You'd have to really examine them closely to be certain, but I've a good feeling that they're just fine. You'd have to replace every bit of hose, rubber, & wiring in the cars, as well as clean up all the ash, smoke, and water damage. But the internal spider cages are still intact and holding up the doors, and I'd bet the undersides are still clean. But they are salvageable at first look. It would be a money-loosing labor of love, but they're repairable for sure.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    . It would be a money-loosing labor of love, but they're repairable for sure.
    Best description of this sort of car I've seen.

Yes - anything can be "rebuilt" but does replacing everything but the engine short block, transmission, and frame count? Does it make sense? The most cost effective way to fix up cars like this is to start with someone else's minor write-off wreck i.e. a (probably restorable in its own right) parts car.

They can be restored, but not on the insurance company's dime. They will write them off.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast