FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Delorean owner Ron Westers yellow Delorean and Concours Delorean destroyed in fire

My VIN:    6585

Thank you for the complement!

Does replacing so many items seem like a rebuild or just building a new car? That's a good question. One that was first asked like 12-13 years ago on the DML. It started out as a debate on originality vs. building a "clone car" with a recycled VIN, but quickly derailed into an Animistic thread over the "soul" of the car. That's when it was terminated. The debate also came back later over DMCH's "refurbished" cars that would replace so many pieces of the car, plus potentially drive train components, is the car still "original" enough to be called a true DeLorean?

In both cases the legal provenance of a subjected vehicle is called into question about which component is the VIN tag permanently associated with when it comes to a cab over chassis design? If the underbody is damaged and we replace it and move the VIN tag, all is well. If we roll an alternate chassis underneath the car, no change. But if we perform BOTH operations at the same time, that's just an illegal VIN swap. But there is a solution...

But first, are cars like this salvageable?

The simple answer for myself is Nevada Revised Statute NRS 487.760 which I would use as a preliminary guideline for restoring a significantly damaged vehicle:

Nonrepairable vehicle means a motor vehicle other than an abandoned vehicle, as defined in NRS 487.210, that:

1. Has value only as a source of parts or scrap metal;

2. Has been designated by its owner for dismantling as a source of parts or scrap metal;

3. Has been stripped of all body panels, doors, hatches, substantially all interior components and substantially all grill and light assemblies; or

4. Has been burned, destroyed or otherwise damaged to such an extent that it cannot be returned to a condition which is legal for operation on the highways of this State.

1. No. The vehicles shown here have many usable parts still.
    2. If Ron gets to keep the vehicles, it's his choice on what to do with them, so this becomes a No as well.
    3. No. The overwhelming majority of parts as still in place.
    4. No, they are repairable.

The big thing here to though is still the economics of the situation. If you're looking to make a profit, this is not the car for you. But if you want a new DeLorean challenge and aren't interested in a Time Machine conversion or a Concourse competetor, vehicles like this are the perfect answer. You can restore them or even better customize them! Spray on a paint job, toss in a radical interior, perform a crazy engine swap, or whatever else you want to do guilt free! No one is going to look down on you for "ruining" a perfectly good DeLorean at all. Hell, they'll shake your hand and thank you for saving one! No one cares anymore about the "originality" of the cars at this point, and that's the best part. So you no longer have to worry about maintaining the original drivetrain components, or even interior ones when you're no longer restoring and instead just building.

Damaged cars like this are very sad. Not just for the car, but the owner. I feel bad for Ron, and hopefully he and his family are safe. But damaged vehicles also present rare opportunities as well for those that wish to pursue them to make custom cars that many in the community would otherwise possibly look down upon. That actually gives them a decent value boost in their current condition compared to other marques.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Delorean owner Ron Westers yellow Delorean and Concours Delorean destroyed in fire

Deleted
    Last edited by DMC5180; 09-14-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

About the only way it would make sense to repair/restore a car in such condition is if you had a donor car with enough parts to make it happen. Perhaps one with a rusted out frame or a heavy hit from a collision or rollover. Just the labor that would be required makes it an economic disaster but a DIY'r can do it because there is no labor cost. The insurance company will total the cars. Once they do that they own them and will attempt to sell them to recover whatever they can. That is the time someone can step up and buy them to either part out or restore (or flip them to someone else). This will not "buff out".
    David Teitelbaum

DeLorean Historian / Administrator Tamir A.'s Avatar

My VIN:    11474

This is just brutal. Glad to hear Ron and his family are OK. But what a blow. His cars were stunning, and the yellow car was always one of my favorite non-SS DeLoreans.

T.
    Fan of all things DeLorean!

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

piano?

Rons daughter [s] play classical music. Did they lose the piano?

My VIN:    1569

Club(s):   (DOI)

I never met Ron but I'm gutted for him as no doubt he put a lot of time and love into customising the car. I've been looking a pics of D's for 20 years and this was 100% my favourite painted car.

My VIN:    10201

My VIN:    5312, (860 sold)

So sad that yellow car was bitchin, and the other one was just sweet. I don't even want to look at the pics.

My VIN:    10309

Hopefully the insurance company will give him top dollar for his loss. They will then notify DMV that the cars have been salvaged so anyone rebuilding
    them would have to go through what ever the state requires to put it back on the road and will then brand the new title as "salvage" or "rebuilt" or something
    to that effect. So should it ever be sold again the new owner will know it had enough damage to be totaled by the insurance company at some point. The value of the car will be about half what it would be with a "clean" title. Sorry for your loss, hope everyone got out o.k.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I know the subject matter is depressing, but that's a really good photograph.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast