FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Delorean owner Ron Westers yellow Delorean and Concours Delorean destroyed in fire

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Insult to injury ... towing it backwards on a flatbed (with a wing on the louver).

Enough of the louver still there (plus the wing) to get pieces air-born while being towed.

I know this is an old thread and I for some reason decided to drop in and look see and thought I should clear up a couple comments. The fire marshall determined that one of the fuel injector lines burst while the Concours car was running in the garage. Fuel dumped on a hot engine and Kapow! Of course once the fire started the fuel pump continued pumping fuel onto the fire. And like many garages... plenty of things nearby to help fuel the fire. Bottom line.. if you still have original fuel lines... CHANGE THEM!

Other topic... Grundy paid off without any problem... they are kinda hard to get in touch with however. If you have insured your D for a set value.. raise it. These cars were insured for 25K each and the insurance company felt like $35k would have been more in line. Of course, one was Concours and the other heavily customized. Your daily driver may not seem that valuable to you but remember, that number is your choice.

Love the DeLorean community but it was time to move on to some good old American iron!!!
    Attached Images
    Ron
    Screamin Yellow D

My VIN:    16377

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin Yellow D View Post
    I know this is an old thread and I for some reason decided to drop in and look see and thought I should clear up a couple comments. The fire marshall determined that one of the fuel injector lines burst while the Concours car was running in the garage. Fuel dumped on a hot engine and Kapow! Of course once the fire started the fuel pump continued pumping fuel onto the fire. And like many garages... plenty of things nearby to help fuel the fire. Bottom line.. if you still have original fuel lines... CHANGE THEM!

Other topic... Grundy paid off without any problem... they are kinda hard to get in touch with however. If you have insured your D for a set value.. raise it. These cars were insured for 25K each and the insurance company felt like $35k would have been more in line. Of course, one was Concours and the other heavily customized. Your daily driver may not seem that valuable to you but remember, that number is your choice.

Love the DeLorean community but it was time to move on to some good old American iron!!!
    Happy to hear from you!

I just wanted to comment on what you said about Grundy. I also have them for my DeLorean. When I first purchased it, they were willing to insure it for $35k without a written appraisal, but were willing to raise it to $45k if I could get an appraised. I asked Rob Grady if he was willing to write something up for me and he said he would. A year later when I needed to renew, I decided to just ask them to raise it to $45k without the appraisal and they did it without issue. I feel that if anything were to happen to my car, $45k should be able to get me something comparable.

-Nick

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I had Grundy for many years and never had a claim. Every year they "upped" me a little. Before I realized it I was paying a lot so I got some quotes and am now with Haggerty. Loyalty means that you will eventually wind up paying more. Was I happy with Grundy, of course, but I never had a claim and did not realize how much they had jacked me up. Do I blame them, no, I should have gotten competitive quotes long ago.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16377

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I had Grundy for many years and never had a claim. Every year they "upped" me a little. Before I realized it I was paying a lot so I got some quotes and am now with Haggerty. Loyalty means that you will eventually wind up paying more. Was I happy with Grundy, of course, but I never had a claim and did not realize how much they had jacked me up. Do I blame them, no, I should have gotten competitive quotes long ago.
    I actually had a small claim shortly after signing with Grundy. The clutch gave out and I had to flat-bed it to Grady. Grundy paid the $190 tow truck bill without issue. I'll keep an eye on how much they charge me yearly. Currently paying $350/year with the $45k agreed value.

-Nick

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin Yellow D View Post

Wow! Another catastrophic fuel line event... Both points you raise about the fuel lines and insured amounts are important topics here in our community. I hope other owners are keeping tabs on both of these topics not just for them but for their family's sake as well.

Great looking truck! 57 Chevy? Old trucks are lots of fun.

God bless and Merry Christmas to you and yours!
    Jeff

My VIN:    3937

Were the fuel lines or other fuel components kept old/original on purpose, because it was a Concours car?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3