FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Driving car without A/C Compression drive belt?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    That's absolutely true, as is the fact that I drove my car year round in Vegas for nearly 5 years with no A/C and can tell you that it's not nearly as bad as others let on. Convertibles like Jeeps are much worse. Unless you live in a swamp where you need it to dry the air out and defog the glass, you'll be just fine.
    Maybe you are more acclimated to the heat. Without A/C you can lose POUNDS and dehydrate quickly. I once had to drive about 15 minutes and I was soaking wet and stuck to the seat. It's like a sauna in there! Here in the Northeast it gets HHH (hazy, hot, and humid). The windows are a joke, you get no relief from them! And you will get a lot of trouble of you try to drive with the doors open unless you are in a parade. I consider the A/C essential, NOT a luxury. If it isn't working I am NOT driving the car!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Speaking of driving without AC, my car doesn't have the system reconditioned yet, but I was able to drive the car in Florida's 100+ degree heat in July. The key was ceramic tint on the side windows and the windshield. Mind you, it was still pretty warm with the windows down and the vent fan on speed 4. I wouldn't let my wife endure that temp on a long drive, but I was not a wash of sweat. I tried driving it under similar conditions before I had the tint installed, and the cabin got too hot to be inside it for more than 10 minutes.

My point is that I can really recommend the ceramic tint, especially on the windshield. The installer asked me if I ever had a windshield tinted before. When I said no, he said " It will change your life". I laughed at the time, but now I know what he meant.

As others have mentioned, I anticipate the tint helping the A/C performance when I get that system restored.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post

That's absolutely true, as is the fact that I drove my car year round in Vegas for nearly 5 years with no A/C and can tell you that it's not nearly as bad as others let on.
    No, it really is that bad. And then try telling your passenger as they're sweating like Ted Striker trying to land an airplane "hey, it's really not that bad in here. It's more like a dry heat", while you turn on the fan which feels more like walking into a hair dryer.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2