FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Do shocks drop with age

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    if you drive it you will find it settles a bit.

The springs determine the height, the shocks just dampen.
    Agreed. Shocks have nothing to do with ride height; they only affect the rate at which the springs can be loaded and unloaded.

The only exception is that at the equilibrium point, stiff shocks can bear a small bit of load in either direction, either leaving the spring just slightly extended or compressed as the minimal spring pressure on them isn't enough to move the shock (but it's only momentary). This is why on my car for instance, when I cant get a jack or lift arm under the rear jack point (due to being lowered), I can usually physically grab and lift from the quarter panel, unload the suspension slightly, and set it back down gently with it stopping at a taller height (usually enough to now get the jack or lift arm under it). Aside from this, the true ride height is solely based on the spring rate and free length.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 08-28-2017 at 10:57 AM.

My VIN:    03572

There is a little extended pressure of the shocks. I would not think it's enough to change the height. The NOS shock was quite a bit to compress. The bad shock had almost zero pressure.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    There is a little extended pressure of the shocks. I would not think it's enough to change the height. The NOS shock was quite a bit to compress. The bad shock had almost zero pressure.
    Shocks do not affect height unless you have a spring on the shock. Often they are adjustable so yo can make the spring tighter or looser and that would affect height. When replacing a bad shock you ALWAYS replace them in pairs, either both fronts or both rears. Even if only one is bad.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

Well I installed the other shock (passenger side), took the car for a drive and took measurements. The drivers side is still a 1/4 inch lower but you don't really see it like the 1/2 inch I had before. Maybe if I had a passenger on my drive both sides would match.

Anyway, the bad shock had no extension pressure (it would stay fully collapsed). The passenger side still has a lot of pressure to keep it extended.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Where are you measuring that you are 1/2" off? You have to be careful, the body may not be on right and your measurements would be off. Measure from the frame to the ground for the most accurate ride height.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5