FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Delorean Europe's PU Upper Contral Arm bushings - looking for feedback

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Delorean Europe's PU Upper Contral Arm bushings - looking for feedback

I am considering purchasing Delorean Europe's polyurethane bushing set #100066PU, used for the front Upper Control Arm's pivot point. It looks like very nice workmanship but it's a chunk of change so I am wondering if anyone has purchased these, reviews, pros/cons etc.

Thanks,

Henrik
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

They are great. Used many sets over years.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Made in the UK by Superflex

Did he oversize the bushing cups? I've found that once you remove the old bushings from the upper control arms, new bushing will no longer lock into place. The metal is thin and easily stretched. This is bad because once reinstalled, the new bushings will rotate inside of the upper control arm, which will wear very quickly.

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Did he oversize the bushing cups? I've found that once you remove the old bushings from the upper control arms, new bushing will no longer lock into place. The metal is thin and easily stretched. This is bad because once reinstalled, the new bushings will rotate inside of the upper control arm, which will wear very quickly.
    Dave or Toby told me once that's why DMC sells the upper arms with the bushings alredy instslled. It's very easy to mess up the arms when installing new bushings.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

..I had these bushings installed by my mechanic, should I be concerned judging by these pics?
    (note that I took the pics from the brake master access, so I don't know what the passenger side upper wishbone is looking like)

Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Delorean Europe's PU Upper Contral Arm bushings - looking for feedback

Your mechanic did not use a tool to keep your wisbones in its originele shape. I made a special tool my shelf. I do think you have to repare the damage.

My VIN:    6125

I installed a set of these bushings myself a while back. Some type of spacer is definitely needed to help support the inside of the arm while the bushings are being pressed in and out. I had a couple of U shaped plates cut to fit inside the arm.

In the photo where you see the bushings being pressed in I added two thin washers between the two thick spacers plates. They are in there to set the correct spacing inside the arm but they also are pretty important for another reason... As everything is being pressed together the spacers will get pressed in tight between the channel inside the arm. To make removal of the spacers possible I just removed the washers first and then the spacers were no longer tight and dropped right out.

More info in this thread too:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?54...ll=1#post78192
    Last edited by Mark D; 10-04-2016 at 10:21 AM.