FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Move AC vents to accommodate touch screen receiver

Move AC vents to accommodate touch screen receiver

Hi,
    I'm thinking about this receiver with a fold out touch screen.
    But I don't want it blocking the air vents when the radio opens.
    If the area is deep enough I want to move the vents where the radio is, and move the radio to the top.
    Then, when the screen unfolds, the screen won't block anything. It's also possible the radio may need to stick out the back and I may need to fashion something to make it appear finished.

The other option that I don't like a much is to intentionally block the vents, and add air registers under the instrument gauge and something similar for the passengers.
    You can see something similar here.
    http://www.classiccarstodayonline.co...nterior-new-b/

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    :Ross

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

I've seen a couple instances where the vents have been rerouted through the kneepads (think one is Patrick C's custom D). If done correctly, it looks good, but you'd have to cut up your kneepads for the move.

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I remember someone successfully swapped the vents with the radio to accommodate a flip up screen. This required removal of the air box, cutting a section out, and sealing up the original hole.

I couldn't find it after a few quick searches. Maybe it was in the old dmctalk.com.
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    I've seen a couple instances where the vents have been rerouted through the kneepads (think one is Patrick C's custom D). If done correctly, it looks good, but you'd have to cut up your kneepads for the move.
    Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    Indeed I did! And relocating those vents makes the entire car cool much more effectively.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    05927

Craig Fleishauer in Pittsburgh also moved the vents down, and the radio up.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I think this is what you are after
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?44...ock-operation)
    Last edited by Josh; 09-30-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Wow! Never saw that thread before. That is some amazing work!

Moving AC Vents update

Here is where the rubber meets to road.
    DMC Pat did an excellent job adding the air vents through the kneepads.

This links shows my ideal, which is swapping the ac vents with the radio to allow for the flip up screen.
    Chris Von Bron?

It looks like both gentlemen have mad skills that I don't.
    Is one way much easier? It seems like DMC Pat's hardware is already in place, not that I am diminishing the effort, I don't know.

My car is undergoing a lot of work now, so now's the time to make the decision.
    I would love some input on the mechanics, as both methods look excellent.

Thank you,
    :Ross

My VIN:    10644

Hey Ross, there's a couple more things you might want to consider that would be easier. First, I owned a DeLorean between 2000-2005 and I loved making mods. I had a really cool single DIN hard drive mp3 player and speakers built into the back wall. Around the time I sold my car, the flip up screens were just becoming popular (or maybe that's just when I first noticed them), and I was lusting for one. Fast forward 10 years and I bought another DeLorean about this time last year. I started looking into the latest in head units and discovered a couple things.

1. There is at least one model (maybe more now) of flip down screens. They slide out and tilt down - covering the AC controls. This seems more desirable than flipping up and blocking the vents altogether.

2. Aftermarket head unit manufacturers are starting to support Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I emailed Kenwood last year about the possibility of a single DIN head unit, but they said that it wasn't in their plans. I replied and made the case that classic car owners are looking for a nice way to have a connected system. I didn't hear back, but it might be worth another look around. You might also find a single DIN head unit that does whatever you're looking for.

3. I keep thinking that the front angled edge of the drivers' headliner would be a cool place to integrate an iPod Touch or an iPad Mini (not sure which would fit best). The thing that I miss the most compared to modern cars is GPS navigation that's glance-able. Just looking slightly upward to a screen in the low ceiling seems like it would feel right. But, it's a little too Knight Rider for me.

4. In the end, I didn't replace at all. My new car came with the original ASI radio and I really liked the original look of it. This one aspect set me off on a whole new direction of originality with this car, as opposed to all the customization I did on my first one. I considered sending the head unit to Dave Graham (sdg3205) for a hardwired AUX input, but ended up just adding a Kenwood KAC-M1824BT amp between the original radio and the speakers. The amp itself has bluetooth and connects to my phone automatically when I start the car. Even though I can switch the input to the head unit (which sounds terrible, BTW), I haven't found myself wanting to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast