FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Long Time Poster First Time Owner!

Long Time Poster First Time Owner!

Well, it finally happened, I got a DeLorean! Its everything I thought it would be and more! Runs great, has some updates, could use a few repairs here and there but overall a great driver. What's even more exciting is the forum is like a brand new site to me; all the threads about repairs and such will finally make much more sense now that I own a car!

I just wanted to say thanks to all the forum members over the years for helping fuel the dream of ownership. Talking with you guys online, meeting up, chatting with vendors and seeing owners' cars at DCS has really helped me purchase a car that was a good fit for me (and literally too, was afraid I'd be too tall to fit in one until someone at DCS was kind enough to let me sit in it!) So anyways, thanks to the site owner, moderators and posters for making such a great community and hub of information.

For those looking/longing for a car, here's my experience and 2 cents. First of all, this site and members have been really helpful. I posted to the wanted forums and had members reach out to me with some leads. In addition to following up on those leads I spoke with Oliver, the sales guy at Beverly Hills Car Club who seemed to be very upfront about the condition of the cars they have. I reached out to Mike at DMC Midwest who found a car that was exactly what I was looking for.

If any of my friends were on a hunt for a DeLorean I would recommend DMC Midwest. Mike and his staff were amazingly nice, knowledgeable and helpful. A 30+ year old car is going to most likely have a mix of repairs done to it and repairs that are needed. If you aren't familiar with the car they can let you know what quirks are normal for the car, which repairs were done thoroughly/properly and what would be recommended to be done. They managed expectations of the car very well. Bar none, the best car buying experience ever. Never once felt like they were pushing a car or sale. A really nice benefit is seeing all the other DeLoreans on site, so you can go, okay, this is what a $40,000 car would be like, this is what a $15,000 car would be like, etc.

I've been fortunate enough to have met with other forum members and gone to a DCS. If you aren't super handy cars, haven't driven a well tuned DeLorean before or don't have a friend knowledgeable of the car to shop with you I would recommend at least taking it to a shop that is familiar with DeLoreans to have them look over a car you are interested in. I had the Delorean's Buyer Guide, and Mike's knowledge of the car really added insight to the condition of the car I was getting. If you've read the forums, you know the list of things that can go wrong with the car at the most inopportune times. Having someone with experience let you know more in detail the likely repairs needed will probably make your transition into ownership much more enjoyable.

Adam

My VIN:    10907

Congratulations on finally living the dream!

I second your recommendation of DMC Midwest. I bought my car from a restorer out that way and had a narrow window of time off to get it home. I had it checked out there just as a precaution and when they found one massive potential trip ender (rusted-through TAB in an otherwise nearly-immaculate frame) and a few other things that weren't necessarily disastrous but probably would have made for an unpleasant drive (bad steering rack & shocks, transmission intermittently not grabbing 2nd) they really went above and beyond to get the work done in time for me to take an epic road trip. (I'd say it was the trip of a lifetime but I'm already formulating plans to drive cross-country sometime in the next year or two, haha...) Mike even stayed after hours so I could get my car and get on the road the night I got there, and Suzy picked me up from the train station. Mike and Dave have been invaluable in providing tech support, too. These guys and gals really go the extra mile!

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Congrats Adam. I remember you coming to one of my tech sessions, glad you finally got your car. Now, post some pics and give us the rundown of the car!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Congrats Adam!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Congrats!

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

awesome, congratulations!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    Congrats Adam. I remember you coming to one of my tech sessions, glad you finally got your car. Now, post some pics and give us the rundown of the car!
    Thanks mate! Now that I'm living in the Midwest and finally have a house I'm hoping to throw one of you're awesome tech sessions up here! Yours was so much fun!

D int.jpg

So its an 81 and pretty much stock. I'll be sending it to Will.I.AM. in December to remodel it... I plan on making it a reliable driver. It has a really cool Audiovox cassette player that goes really well with the interior. I can't get the left channel to work on it, not sure if its the speakers or the unit (I have a feeling its the unit). DMC Midwest did some work on it last year so engine/fuel/electric should be pretty good to go. It has the DMC relay upgrade on it, so I can cross that off on the things to do. Picked up some LEDs for the doors that I plan on putting in and will probably put in the LEDs for the brake lights as well. This week I'll be attempting to put in a steering wheel bushing.

Here's some things I've noticed in the few days I've had it that I'll probably be posting individual threads on:
    • A/C blower fan: When set on either speeds 3 or 4 the fan will shut off after about 10 minutes and neither 3 nor 4 will work (1 and 2 will continue to work). After a few minutes the fan will work on those speeds again.
    • Green headlight indicator light on dash was very dim for about a half a day. Blue brights indicator worked fine.
    • Literally "topped off" gas and then the gas gauge read zero. Later that day resumed working. Same day as the headlight indicator. Other gauges like the alternator readings worked fine
    • A/C compressor? kicks on every 8 seconds when on. Was driving last night and you can hear a click and then headlights momentarily dim every 8 seconds when the a/c is on regular or max. Is that normal?
    • Rattle by the drivers front door/dash. Not sure if its my bad steering bushing that's causing the rattle, but would definitely like to get things tight/rattle free.
    • I may need new shocks. Sounds kind of "thuddy" on the rear wheels when I go over bumps, not sure if that's normal for DeLoreans or not..

It's been a great first week of ownership, can't wait to get the car prepped for a lifetime of !

Also, Dvonk, I see your meter is over a 100% now. Does that mean you'll be joining the club soon?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Long Time Poster First Time Owner!

1. Blower Fan breaker needs to be upgraded at a minimum. But you likely also need the Whole relay update kit installed for good measure.

2. Clean all trace contacts on the back of the instrument cluster.

3. Likely same as 2. But also clean contacts at sender.

4. A/C on off at 8 second intervals is normal. Headlight dimming is not, but it could be poor alternator output (typical) on older OEM units. I'd suggest you upgrade to DMCMW CS130. or it could be ground issue.

5. Finding rattles is never fun. Check if the binnacle is bouncing against the dash.

6. Don't expect a sooth ride from this car. Old Shocks, tires (inflation pressure) are contributing factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 10-04-2016 at 12:12 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    6964

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Thank you for the kind words. It was a lot of fun to be part of the excitement. Welcome to the DeLorean community!

Please feel free to call or write me direct for technical advise. Your issues sound easy enough to help diagnose.

If you do plan a tech session let us know, I'd love to attend.
    Lead Technician
    DMC Midwest

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Said he has the relay upgrade kit so he should have the uprated circuit breaker on the fan. Could be bad/dirty/ burnt connections, a bad circuit breaker, or bad blower motor.
    Check tire pressures and date codes. If over 7 years old they should be replaced. Too high tire pressures will cause a hard ride and cause more rattles. A bad steering bushing will cause the steering wheel to be loose. Could be bad door seals, a door latch out of adjustment, something loose in the dash or binnacle, broken steering column cage, etc. Check the label in the glove box for the correct tire pressures.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast