FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3/8" Allen Key for the Torsion Bars

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Setting aside junky vs quality tools just seconding the point that a 3/8in. square drive tool or extension is risky for this job, as noted here by Nicholas, now in bold. I think I see some references to using a 3/8in. square drive in other posts. Not the best.

On our doors you may need so much torque that only a 1/2in. drive setup will do.

Ask me how I know.

Again, we are talking about a 3/8in. allen key being torqued by a 1/2in. square drive setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    This is definitely one that you dont want to skimp on. ....
    Definitely get one that is a 1/2" drive (most use a 3/8" drive) and ensure it's high quality. The one below is what I'd recommend. Williams tools are synonymous with Snap-On. It would be difficult to find a better tool than this one:

Williams 35212 1/2-Inch Drive Hex Bit Socket, 3/8-Inch

https://www.amazon.com/Williams-3521.../dp/B007YR9UXK
    http://www.toolsdelivered.com/Willia...AE-Bit-Sockets
    http://www.toolsdelivered.com/Willia...AE-Bit-Sockets
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

3/8" Allen Key for the Torsion Bars

I highly recommend NOT using a ball end hex socket in this application. You need maximum tool surface contact. You also don't need extra long bits. A standard length hex socket will work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    Yeah, I know a lot of people are strongly biased against Harbor Freight tools since most (if not all) of what they sell is made in China. I almost didn't make my post because I knew it would bring them out of the woodwork. I was just sharing my experience with actually doing the torsion bar job and using the exact tools I posted (see picture). I have had good luck with Harbor Freight hand tools and pneumatic tools (not so much with their powered stuff).
    Can you advise me where to buy online a good quality 3/8" Allen Key socket needed for the torsion bar adjustment?

The OP specifically asked for good quality tools. I have bought and will continue to buy from Harbor Freight BUT you must understand what you are going to use and where. For high stress and/or frequently used tools it does not pay to cheap out. H/F used to have a great reputation but that was before EVERYTHING was Chinese. Sometimes you have to resist the temptation of low prices and realize you get what you pay for. If you can't or won't pay for the "good stuff" most Delorean clubs either have or members lend the tools to adjust the doors. The DMA has an event once a year and does torsion bar adjustments for free for all members. One of the perks of membership. As for H/F's hand tools, they are OK till they break unexpectedly and it can cause serious injury. That may be alright tightening an ordinary bolt but in the case of the torsion bars the results can be a lot worse. As for 1/2 vs 3/8 drive, the problem there is the length of the extension. If you use a 3/8 extension that long you turn IT into a torsion bar! There is a reason the 1/2" drive is recommended! You also get a longer breaker bar when you go up to 1/2" and even with that you STILL have to put a pipe on it!
    Last edited by David T; 10-08-2016 at 05:32 PM.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Early

I used a 3/8 drive hardened allen key set from autozone, but I did it with no extension and the louvers removed. Also, I used a craftsman breaker bar + a cheater pipe + a helper for that job.

IMHO, Harbor freight has been proven unreliable too many times for use on any car, let alone a DeLorean.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Can you advise me where to buy online a good quality 3/8" Allen Key socket needed for the torsion bar adjustment?
    See post #3 in this thread. 1/2" Drive 3/8" Hex Socket made by Snap-On / Williams.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Also Post #6 for Proto 1/2" drive x 3/8" key. X-long.

If you want std length then Proto has this one: LINK

From either page the Buy Now button takes you to Proto retailer sites.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    16409

My locally owned mom and pop hardware store sells Wright tools. I picked one up from them. I found them for sale on Amazon as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Wright-Tool-4.../dp/B005ENZ06C
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2