FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Washer Fluid Hose

Washer Fluid Hose

While I was fixing my luggage compartment light, I pulled my washer tank out and found that the hose was in very poor shape. It had been kinked in several places and it's 30+ years old so it isn't elastic anymore but very hard. I found three couplers inline before it enters the passenger compartment and I've replaced all those with one. I have consulted a friend who has removed the dash and he told me that I could remove the glove box and reach (by hand) the other end of the hose where it meets the windshield wipers. I just pulled the glove box out and I can actually reach the wiper washer connection but since the hose is so hard I can't slide it off the barbed fitting.

Here is the comparison of the old and new hose:
    Old hose vs. New hose.jpg

Here is a bad picture of the connection I'm trying to separate (sorry my phone barely fit through the opening):
    Backside of Washer Line.jpg

Here is the connection on the outside:
    Connection on Outside.jpg

Here is my ghetto windshield washer, apparently whoever worked on this last didn't have the correct fix so they just did this:
    Ghetto Windshield Washer.jpg

My first question is:
    Does anyone have suggestions of ways to make it easier to pull the old hose off the barb? I tried heating up the easy end (in the first picture) with a heat gun and trying to slide it off but it still wouldn't let go. I'm not sure what is the most effective way to disconnect it without breaking the plastic barb. The other couplers I removed by slicing the hose along the length of the barbed fitting carefully in a few places so it would widen and let go but I don't think I can even fit a blade into this hole under the dash much less be able to see what I'm doing... Might be the only way tho.

My second question is:
    How can I properly fix the sprayer so it doesn't look like a "farmer fix"? I'm not sure what it should look like, if someone could shoot a picture of their windshield washer sprayer it would be helpful. Should it be attached to the blade (as it seems to be now) or the wiper arm? Wiper arm makes more sense to me but my wiper arm doesn't appear to have any spot for it to mount. If it's the blade, do we need to use DMC blades with the washer mount?

Thanks,
    -Greg
    P.S. I find it very interesting that the washer fluid hose comes into the cabin only to go back out to the windshield wipers. This car keeps making me go "WTF?"
    Last edited by spikeygg; 10-07-2016 at 10:22 PM. Reason: P.S. inclusion

Okay, I was able to run the new hose all the way but I went about it a different way than I was planning:
    Washer Coupler Under Windsheild.jpg

I tried to pull the pull the screen cowl piece just under the windshield but it's wedged between a bracket beneath the windshield and the hood bump-stop. Is there an easy way to remove the bump-stop?
    Hood Bump Stop.jpg

I tried to twist it but it just spins, the hardware at the bottom of it just seems to spin up and down the threaded stud...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    Okay, I was able to run the new hose all the way but I went about it a different way than I was planning:
    Washer Coupler Under Windsheild.jpg

I tried to pull the pull the screen cowl piece just under the windshield but it's wedged between a bracket beneath the windshield and the hood bump-stop. Is there an easy way to remove the bump-stop?
    Hood Bump Stop.jpg

I tried to twist it but it just spins, the hardware at the bottom of it just seems to spin up and down the threaded stud...
    The riv-nut is spinning, the bumper stop should just unscrew out. Careful with the sprayer on the wiper arm, they are NLA.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The riv-nut is spinning, the bumper stop should just unscrew out.
    Is the riv-nut supposed to be attached to the underside of the fender? I'm not sure what a riv-nut is. If it is supposed to attach to the underside of the fender, if I unscrew the bump-stop will it fall off inside?

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Careful with the sprayer on the wiper arm, they are NLA.
    What do you mean about the sprayer? Does NLA mean No Longer Available? How is the sprayer supposed to attach?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A riv-nut is like a big pop rivet that is threaded internally. It is locked into place in a hole in the fiberglass and is not supposed to spin. NLA does mean No Longer Available. The spray nozzle is supposed to snap on over the arm of the wiper blade with some tabs that are broken off on yours which is why yours is held on with some wire. That's OK, just don't break the nipple off where the hose attaches or you won't be able to use it at all. If necessary use a heat gun to soften the hose so it will slip on. Leave enough slack so the wiper arm can move without stretching the hose.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    Is the riv-nut supposed to be attached to the underside of the fender? I'm not sure what a riv-nut is. If it is supposed to attach to the underside of the fender, if I unscrew the bump-stop will it fall off inside?

What do you mean about the sprayer? Does NLA mean No Longer Available? How is the sprayer supposed to attach?
    The sprayer is currently available at DMC Houston or your most local affiliate... $23 - http://store.delorean.com/p-6977-wiper-arm-jet.aspx

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!