FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fiberglass repair

My VIN:    2483

Fiberglass repair

Here is a few photos of a crack that I found the other day.

The first photo is a zoom out to give you a reference to where it is located.

On the left side at the bottom. Below the two holes (that I think) the e-brake cables come through.

What would be the "proper" repair for this?

My thought is to get some sort of epoxy/resin type glue and try to seal it up for now. My idea is to do a temporary fix for now and revisit this issue at a later date. There may be other cracks I have not found yet so I would look to do a more thorough job in the future.

Any thoughts on a good product for this?

Is there any experts out there that might know how this even happened?

Did the PO back into a large rock? Old age? Maybe aliens did it?

What do you fine folks think?
    Attached Images

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Find a place that repairs boat hulls and they should be able to fix that pretty easily.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    3937

Does your car have the four metal jacking plates in place? That could have been caused by someone trying to lift the car up with a poorly placed jack.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10309

I had a similar crack where someone had used a jack without a block of wood on the tub to jack up the car and pushed and cracked the fiberglass by the passenger seat. You have to enlarge the crack using a dremel tool and thin stone then use any auto fiberglass product and a rubber spreader to apply new fiberglass into the crack. It's had to match the original paint color but depending on where the crack is you could even use a black magic marker to cover the thin line in the crack.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Find a place that repairs boat hulls and they should be able to fix that pretty easily.
    My guess is someone tried to lift the car and cracked the fiberglass. Very repairable. You have to grind out the cracks and glass in a repair. To do it properly you should do it from both sides. Have to be careful by the holes, you don't want to make the fiberglass too thick there. If you don't want to do it yourself a place that repairs boats OR a place that repairs Corvettes can do it.
    David Teitelbaum

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you don't want to do it yourself a place that repairs boats OR a place that repairs Corvettes can do it.
    Be careful with Corvette repair places...Corvette fiberglass is less structural and more cosmetic repair. Boat hull repair places would be a better option IMO.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

These should be a fairly easy repairs and if you do the prep work and the finishing work, you can keep the cost down.

You may want to plan to do your custom battery box work done at the same time (for this Electric DMC Conversion).

The guy I had do the custom fiberglass work on the D Limo and the D Roadster has since "semi-retired", but he may
    be "convinced" to do some smaller repairs and fabrication work, before he sells his shop (sometime next year?).

He still does a few side jobs for the local Lotus Corps car club, so he is "not quite" retired just yet.