FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: How many miles per year do you drive your D?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-100

4 7.02%
  • 101-500

6 10.53%
  • 501-1000

4 7.02%
  • 1001-2500

20 35.09%
  • 2501-5000

12 21.05%
  • 5001-10,000

6 10.53%
  • 10,001-20,000

3 5.26%
  • 20,001-50,000

2 3.51%
  • 50,001-100,000

0 0%
  • 100,000+

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How many miles per year do you drive your D?

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-T View Post
    I've only had 967 for 2 1/2 months so far but Ive already put about 2,500 miles on it. 1,100 of those was driving it home to NV from WA. I bought the car with the intent of using it as my daily driver. With the stock engine, I am keeping to Vegas and doing about 25-30 miles per day. Once I get the Stage II installed, I will start going out of town as well.
    Heh, you're like me, I got mine and just had to drive it home. 1500 miles in the first week. I've been contemplating doing the Stage II as well, so come back here and tell us how you like it once it's done. How many miles are on yours now? Any valve leakage issues or are you just doing the upgrade for the sake of doing it?

My VIN:    0967

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Heh, you're like me, I got mine and just had to drive it home. 1500 miles in the first week. I've been contemplating doing the Stage II as well, so come back here and tell us how you like it once it's done. How many miles are on yours now? Any valve leakage issues or are you just doing the upgrade for the sake of doing it?
    I wont probaly have the cash saved up to do the Stage II until April or so but I will definitely post my thoughts on it once its done. Dont have any issues at the moment I just want the extra get up and go power. Driving to work and back everyday in Vegas is about a 30-40 mile round trip and I use the freeway a lot. The slow aceleration and slugishness going uphill are my only complaints about the car. Trying to get up to freeway speed while going up a ramp and having to merge with faster moving traffic is nerveracking sometimes.

I take frequent trips down to the LA area in my SUV and I want to start using the D but Im afraid I wont make it back up the mountains with the stock engine. (Some of the steep mountains in WA and OR already kick my rear getting the car home.) The first time I take it to Cali will be to drop it off at DMC to do my conversion. Then I can test it out by driving back up to Vegas. hopefully the Stage II will be exactly what I need to ease my mind about doing more trips with it. For now tho, except for the merging, its a great city driver and I love it.

When I bought 967, it had just under 29,500 miles on it. Im about to hit 31,000 soon. So Ive been doing about 500-600 miles per month so far. I expect that to jump up to 1,000+ miles a month once I start using the DeLorean for my Cali trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-T View Post
    I wont probaly have the cash saved up to do the Stage II until April or so but I will definitely post my thoughts on it once its done. Dont have any issues at the moment I just want the extra get up and go power. Driving to work and back everyday in Vegas is about a 30-40 mile round trip and I use the freeway a lot. The slow aceleration and slugishness going uphill are my only complaints about the car. Trying to get up to freeway speed while going up a ramp and having to merge with faster moving traffic is nerveracking sometimes.

I take frequent trips down to the LA area in my SUV and I want to start using the D but Im afraid I wont make it back up the mountains with the stock engine. (Some of the steep mountains in WA and OR already kick my rear getting the car home.) The first time I take it to Cali will be to drop it off at DMC to do my conversion. Then I can test it out by driving back up to Vegas. hopefully the Stage II will be exactly what I need to ease my mind about doing more trips with it. For now tho, except for the merging, its a great city driver and I love it.

When I bought 967, it had just under 29,500 miles on it. Im about to hit 31,000 soon. So Ive been doing about 500-600 miles per month so far. I expect that to jump up to 1,000+ miles a month once I start using the DeLorean for my Cali trips.
    Yeah, performance over mountain passes is of potential interest to me, too. I live in SLC and have family in SoCal, and there are some pretty steep hills in between. My CRX tends to huff and puff getting over some of the 6000' peaks in central Utah, although it's a 4-cyl w/ 275K miles on it (probably just under 270K last time I did it). I'll have to see how the D does on that run, provided nothing else important springs a leak between here and there

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that in a year I have driven 4 miles (1 on surface streets, 3 on freeway).
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but heads/cam/exhaust really doesn't wake the car up very much. Yes, it will be slightly faster than a stock DMC, but it's marginal. You're really not going to get noticeable climbing power on hills, or when passing people.

The sound of cams & exhaust is amazing, but the package is a serious amount of money for very little gain.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but heads/cam/exhaust really doesn't wake the car up very much. Yes, it will be slightly faster than a stock DMC, but it's marginal. You're really not going to get noticeable climbing power on hills, or when passing people.

The sound of cams & exhaust is amazing, but the package is a serious amount of money for very little gain.
    That is exactly what I was told when speaking with someone last week. There IS supposed to be a performance gain, but it only really happens around 5,000 RPMs, which is only noticeable a fraction of the time.

The stock PRV though is great for mountains IMO. It's got some nice low-end torque, and step inclines were never a problem with it. No complaints from me with that engine in the mountains. More than once I'd have someone try and race me, and on the flat lands they'd outrun me. But once we hit the grades it was a different story. Most other cars would just bog down like they had just hit a wall, but the DeLorean would keep on pulling and gaining speed like nothing happened.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Well, barring a miracle I'm not doing any more driving this year so I guess I can answer my own poll now. I put a little over 3000 miles on it, which I guess isn't too shabby considering I only owned it 5 months and it spent literally half that time in the shop. Crossing my fingers that this is the last huge repair and I can make up for lost time next year...

(P.S. If I'm accurately reading the oil change sticker that was dated 1987, I've put just about as many miles on it as it had been driven in the last 30 years, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at all the issues it's had. Poor car, it's trying its best...)
    Last edited by DaraSue; 12-23-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    If I'm accurately reading the oil change sticker that was dated 1987, I've put just about as many miles on it as it had been driven in the last 30 years, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at all the issues it's had. Poor car, it's trying its best...)
    It's good you're driving it as much as possible. These cars really are not meant to sit unused for extended periods of time. Get out and drive em!
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    3937

1,571 miles in 2016 for me. And every one of them accounted for on the odo thanks to a fully functional speedo (finally!).

I don't know how many, if any, miles before I got the car in 2007 were lost from a bad speedo, but based on what I know I've driven, and what was on the clock when I got it, I've almost matched those "pre-me" miles too. Granted we're talking the first 26 years and then the most recent 9, so not quite as dramatic. I will say that the car has not cost me all that much to operate and maintain over the past few years when compared to the first few. Regular exercise is definitely a good thing!

Merry Ho-Ho DMC crowd!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3