FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Removing Krups Logo & Stripe

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Removing Krups Logo & Stripe

I did some research hoping to find a way to dissolve the logo and stripe on the Krups coffee grinder in prep for converting it to a Mr Fusion. I didn't really come up with anything I liked. So here are some thoughts from my experience:
    - I did not find anything that dissolved it easily or quickly
    - Test things you want to try on the bottom or some location where it does not matter if it damages the plastic.
    - DO NOT USE ACETONE... it melts the plastic
    - Magic Eraser did not work for me. But I did not try it a lot since it will dull the plastic surface via abrasion. BTW ... Best I can tell, Magic Erasers are nothing more than a foam pad. No cleaner/solvent.
    - I tried various things (WD40, oils, turpentine, denatured alcohol, brake cleaner, MAF cleaner, citrus cleaner, CA kicker, an eraser), many of which were suggested on the web, with no luck. Why is it that the labels on the remote come off so easy?
    - It may be that I did not try hard enough.
    - I did not try gasoline or diesel fuel but it is too late to try now since all my printing is gone.
    - I've heard that headlight polishing kits work but not having one I did not try.
    - I've read that Turtle Wax Polishing Compound works to get the printing off. Then you need to use a finer polishing compound to return the gloss. I did not try and it seems like too much work. BUT ... if you have a yellowed (not to be confused with a yellow one), the process can be used to bring back the white. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdgvfkhCOdc

I then tried DOT4 brake fluid and it worked. It does not "dissolve" the print quickly but it does work at removing the printing without damaging the plastic (at least there is no noticeable damage at this point. Fingers crossed) It seems that once the top barrier on the printing is breached it goes easier. I put some on a rag and rubbed it repeatedly and rubbing across the stripe, medium to hard pressure, seems to work the best. At first it does not appear to work but keep working it. Go back over it until all the printing is gone. You can get it all off. It takes time but It took less than an hour (maybe a half hour?) to remove the printing.

Best of all, the plastic does not need further polishing.

Remember, you mileage may vary so test first.

Post any other working solutions herein.
    Nick
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    05927

The instructions I had called for denatured alcohol. It took a couple of minutes, but it did come off.

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

If I remember correctly (it was 10-11 years ago) mineral spirits did the trick for me. It took a good bit of rubbing with my fingernail behind a cloth, but the black came off without damaging the gloss of the plastic. I think I tested lacquer thinner on the bottom also at first, but it dulled the finish.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

My VIN:    6125

What's the purpose of trying to remove the lettering in the first place? To create the lid assembly on the screen used Mr. Fusion the Krups grinder was screwed to the lower part of the lid and the seam between the two parts was filled with bondo to make the parts look as if they were one. Then the assembly was painted white and the Mr. Fusion lettering was applied.

Are you guys just modifying the grinder by itself and not building the rest of the Mr. Fusion?

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Yes...just working on the Krups piece. It is easier to remove the printing and apply to the existing white plastic than to paint it. Especially if painting is not a strength which is a reason I was initially attracted to the D when it came out. Besides, the bases are harder to come by.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".