FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fuel Mixture

Question Fuel Mixture

Hi All,

I am a new Delorean owner and my car is running rich. From my limited research, I think that I need to adjust the air fuel mixture but don't know if I can do this, let alone where it is?

Can you help

Keith

My VIN:    3937

Welcome Keith.

The general consensus is that adjusting the air/fuel mixture setting is the LAST thing you do, and only after you have confirmed all other aspects of the fuel delivery/air induction systems are working as intended.

So, just to back-up slightly for a moment, what exactly is your car doing or not doing that made you determine it is running rich?

One thing that's reasonably common to fail and makes a car run rich is when the full throttle fuel enrichment microswitch has failed in such a way as to stay in that "fuel enriched" mode. Could be as simple as that, or not, but adjusting the fuel mixture screw prematurely will make finding an easy problem much more difficult in the long run.

...just noticed you posted this in the Canadian owners sub-forum. Where are you located? This might get more input from other owners if it got moved by a moderator to the general section.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Thanks for your reply...

I can see smoke , dark tail pipes and smell exhaust. After i start it and drive in putters until I accelerate and burn the excess fuel. when I shut off the car, it barely starts and wants to stall, again, until I accelerate ..

Keith

My VIN:    3937

I'd think that sounds more like fuel flooding unintentionally into the engine than it does a rich fuel mixture setting.

What sort of history does your car have? VIN? Transmission type? If it is new to you, do you know for certain how it ran before you got it? Past maintenance records or work done? Did it sit for some period of time before you got it?

Could be a lot of things going on here. Most of which need attention that isn't adjusting the fuel mixture (for now). That excess fuel could be fuel injectors that are passing fuel when they shouldn't be or even a cold start valve that's pouring fuel into the engine when you don't want it to. The cold start valve, if that's a problem, might have an electrical connection problem causing it to stay on. Lots of possibilities to guess at.

I'd start troubleshooting things systematically and that'll begin with answering the questions above and if possible, posting some photos of the car, engine bay and electrical areas behind the seats.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

The VIN is 01714 and the car has a lot of work done to it...it's manual. it is in pretty good shape, and when I had it inspected it was suggested that the fuel distributor could be the problem, but it runs well at high rpms.

Keith