FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gps

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Gps

General question, what are others doing for a GPS. The Via Michelin I had finally died and I am going to try an app for my Samsung 6 smart phone. I need a way to hold it on the dash. What are others doing?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

David, I use Google Maps. It works really well for directions, shows current traffic, & also suggests route recalculations based on traffic conditions. Google also owns the Waze app which pretty much does the same thing, though I find that it doesn't always use the quickest route. The interface is completely different though.

As for holding your cell phone, I just have it in the console & use the audible instructions for most of my drives so I don't have a mount to recommend on personal experience. But you basically have 2-3 options....suction cup attachment to the windshield, or various dash mount methods (sticky pad, suction cap, vent attachment).

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

My VIN:    10270

I banged this out 1hr before leaving for DCS this year. Made from some bar stock shaped with a soft mallet and vice. The two halves are held together with 3M trim tape. Later I added a little weatherstrip to the back to protect the kneepad from potential scratches.

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of my phone in it but it just snaps into place. I have a silicone protector on my phone and tweaked the mount so it's held in the mount with just the right amount of friction.
    Attached Images
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

^ If you were to make any more of them, I would buy one. Just saying.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    6472

I use Google Maps as well. I like to wedge my phone between the base of the 5-speed shifter boot and against the mode switch on the climate control deck. I find this works well almost all the time, it's only when I'm about to hit a sharp turn I put my hand by the phone so it doesn't slide over.

I was looking for an option that can hold it close to eye level so I can see the turns, mileage, and time to destination. I am spoiled from my other cars. I know about the suction cup but want something that won't block my view (if possible). The APP I am looking at is for trucks too so I can set my route based on weight and height (not required for the Delorean!). Thanks for the suggestions.
    David Teitelbaum

I readily admit I am not the most competent "guru" when it comes to mobile devices. It seems I am too old to be good at them, all of the kids nowadays are much better than I will ever be. I can still remember punch cards and paper tape.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Mike, you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with David's Mustache

David, I use Apple Maps. Oh, no, wait I don't. No-one does.

I too use google maps, mounted via suction cup low down on the windscreen so it doesn't obstruct my view, yet I don't have to look down to see it. I also use the audible turn-by-turn directions. I particularly like it as it will change routes if there is suddenly an accident on the original one.

But I just checked and it doesn't have any feature for limiting routes by size or weight.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I readily admit I am not the most competent "guru" when it comes to mobile devices. It seems I am too old to be good at them, all of the kids nowadays are much better than I will ever be. I can still remember punch cards and paper tape.
    I have seen people well over 80 years of age edit movies and set up web pages. By contrast I grew up with technology, and there are still some devices that are so overly complicated and unfriendly to the user that I want to stomp them. You've just got to figure out what works best in both practice, and for you. Believe me when I say that age has nothing at all to do with it.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    I have seen people well over 80 years of age edit movies and set up web pages. By contrast I grew up with technology, and there are still some devices that are so overly complicated and unfriendly to the user that I want to stomp them. You've just got to figure out what works best in both practice, and for you. Believe me when I say that age has nothing at all to do with it.
    I feel like we should send this post to Guiness for shortest post ever by DMCVegas.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast