FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Bosch Starter Wire connections and heat shield plate

My VIN:    2964

Bosch Starter Wire connections and heat shield plate

Question on the starter wires and how to position them with headers on. I have a Bosch starter, Josh's s/s exhaust kit, and Hervey's heat shield for starter.

1. Red battery wire, red jump start post wire and brown alternator wire go on top as I have them. Other wire which is white or beige with red stripe connects to the right of it? How about the wire with Green and yellow stripe where does that go? I have seen other pictures of starters and connects right under the beige red wire, but no where to connect on this starter. Anyone have good pictures to post??

2. Is the starter heat shield in the correct place or do I have to move it back a little and move studs one space over?

3. Brown with yellow stripe wire, where does that go?

Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Question on the starter wires and how to position them with headers on. I have a Bosch starter, Josh's s/s exhaust kit, and Hervey's heat shield for starter.

1. Red battery wire, red jump start post wire and brown alternator wire go on top as I have them. Other wire which is white or beige with red stripe connects to the right of it? How about the wire with Green and yellow stripe where does that go? I have seen other pictures of starters and connects right under the beige red wire, but no where to connect on this starter. Anyone have good pictures to post??

2. Is the starter heat shield in the correct place or do I have to move it back a little and move studs one space over?

3. Brown with yellow stripe wire, where does that go?
    1. The large, white, red stripe wire is for solenoid activation and connects to the small lug.

The bundled two blue, yellow stripe wires connect to the large lower lug. To install those, buy a 14 awg wire and crimp a ring terminal on one side and a male bullet on the other.

2. I don't know. I don't run one with Josh's Spec I.

3. The brown, yellow stripe wire connects to the alternator. It is for the battery light on the dash.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

I figured the brown with yellow stripe wire goes to alternator, I just wanted to be sure.

So the blue yellow stripe wires connect to the lower lug where the wire connects straight to starter? I just want to be sure, don't want to end up damaging or burning something.

Thank you!

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I figured the brown with yellow stripe wire goes to alternator, I just wanted to be sure.

So the blue yellow stripe wires connect to the lower lug where the wire connects straight to starter? I just want to be sure, don't want to end up damaging or burning something.

Thank you!

The original Rhone starter had an extra pigtail wire coming from the Solenoid cap. This wire would get energized when the Solenoid was engaged and spun the starter motor. The common thing to do with the smaller starter is to just add a small ring terminal and attach it with the WHITE/RED wire. The doubled Blue/Yellow does to things one wire is the Ignition By-pass relay energize feed, the other is the power feed through the Relay to the Resistor. My guess is the reason the power was sourced the MOTOR SIDE of the solenoid was to minimize the potential voltage drop by using the power of the larger cables versus the starter engagement circuit. Use of either wire placement method is functionally the same.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The original Rhone starter had an extra pigtail wire coming from the Solenoid cap. This wire would get energized when the Solenoid was engaged and spun the starter motor. The common thing to do with the smaller starter is to just add a small ring terminal and attach it with the WHITE/RED wire. The doubled Blue/Yellow does to things one wire is the Ignition By-pass relay energize feed, the other is the power feed through the Relay to the Resistor. My guess is the reason the power was sourced the MOTOR SIDE of the solenoid was to minimize the potential voltage drop by using the power of the larger cables versus the starter engagement circuit. Use of either wire placement method is functionally the same.
    So I will attach the Blue/yellow wires with the white/red wire. I was doing some research and read someone else who did that.

Thank you!

That is what DMCMW does. I did it with mine. No issues.

Its your choice. Either method works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

That is what DMCMW does. I did it with mine. No issues.

Its your choice. Either method works.

Cool! Thank you again!!

Bosch Starter Wire connections and heat shield plate

Cool! Thank you again!!
    On my car, I did not want too remove the bullet connector socket from the harness. I just made a 5 inch connector wire with the ring terminal on one end and female bullet connector on the other.

Your original connector is gone but you could still something similar if wanted.

DENNIS

On my car, I did not want too remove the bullet connector socket from the harness. I just made a 5 inch connector wire with the ring terminal on one end and female bullet connector on the other.

Your original connector is gone but you could still something similar if wanted.

Ok cool, I will do the same.

Thank you again!