FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery positive in the relay compartment?

Battery positive in the relay compartment?

I noticed a free tab in the relay compartment that I'm wondering if I can tap into for a battery positive line for a new set of horns I'm trying to wire in. I'm not sure what the thick brown wire is but the post appears to be effectively shorted to the positive battery terminal (based on DMM resistance measurements).

Relay Compartment.jpg

Can someone tell me if this is an acceptable place to hook up to for battery positive? I plan to fuse the horns from where ever I tap from.

Thanks,
    -Greg

My VIN:    03572

Yes that brown wire is an un-fuesed battery connection.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes that brown wire is an un-fuesed battery connection.
    Thanks Dave!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    Thanks Dave!
    Make sure you put a fuse in any wiring you tap off. Your RPM relay is out of place. It should be under the metal shelf and tucked into the tab so it doesn't bounce around.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Make sure you put a fuse in any wiring you tap off.
    David, I mean no offense when I say this but: did you read my whole post? I mentioned explicitly that I am planning on fusing the line I run. This is the second time I've said something (not this thread) and you've commented that I should do the thing I said I was already going to do...

Your RPM relay is out of place. It should be under the metal shelf and tucked into the tab so it doesn't bounce around.
    This is good to know, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can secure it better. I've read that these RPM relay buggers can fail pretty easily. Luckily, we have Dave M. around so if/when mine fails I'll get his solid state one.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    David, I mean no offense when I say this but: did you read my whole post? I mentioned explicitly that I am planning on fusing the line I run. This is the second time I've said something (not this thread) and you've commented that I should do the thing I said I was already going to do...

This is good to know, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can secure it better. I've read that these RPM relay buggers can fail pretty easily. Luckily, we have Dave M. around so if/when mine fails I'll get his solid state one.
    David does somewhat robotic replies. Most of the time he fails to quote the correct post. I think he is just copying and pasting from the workshop manual half the time. lol.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    David does somewhat robotic replies. Most of the time he fails to quote the correct post. I think he is just copying and pasting from the workshop manual half the time. lol.
    I do repeat things, especially when they are important. Consider that others will read these posts and it is very important things you add are properly fused. Hooking to that side of the circuit breaker means that breaker is not going to protect anything since you are on the feed side. It is also a large breaker so unless you are using a heavy gauge wire you must use a smaller ampacity fuse (or circuit breaker) to protect the downstream wiring. The proper place to actually connect to for horn power is fuse #6. That is the one labeled as such and anyone not familiar with your mod is going to check that fuse first if there is ever a problem in the future with the horns. I don't copy and paste the manual but I do refer people to it all the time so they can become more familiar with it. The answers to many of the forum questions are there if you look. As for the horns refer to M:07:03 for the horn power fuse. At least I know someone is reading my posts!
    David Teitelbaum

I've said it before (in so many words), and say it again. On this forum anyway, if your name is Dave something, you probably know what you're talking about...

I've found that to be so!

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    10309

Really is it a good idea to bite the hand that feeds you? You get good advice for free, if you have a complaint about it then tell your wife.

The proper place to actually connect to for horn power is fuse #6. That is the one labeled as such and anyone not familiar with your mod is going to check that fuse first if there is ever a problem in the future with the horns.
    This is a great idea. My only hesitation is that the old factory wiring may be inadequate for the current demand of my new horns. I checked the documentation of the new horns and they recommend a 20A fuse which I believe is what is used in fuse #6. According to the workshop manual, fuse #6 is used for "hazard warning switch, horns, buzzer, and logic box." Any idea what "logic box" is or what these other circuits may consume?

I looked at the wiring schematic and I see the purple lines running from fuse #6 that go to the HORN/DI/DIP PUSH SWITCH, HAZARD SWITCH, and the buzzer but I don't see the "logic box" anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast