FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Strangeness with indicators...

My VIN:    10907

You checked all the fuses and relays too, right? I vaguely remember having a problem similar to what you're describing in my CRX (this was about 20 years ago) and the issue was a bad relay (the one that controlled the turn signals and hazard lights).

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    I have no way of knowing if the modification was done.
    You would need to follow the wires starting at the side light socket back. If you don't see any modification back to the main harness then you probably don't have the modification installed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    I have no way of knowing if the modification was done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You would need to follow the wires starting at the side light socket back. If you don't see any modification back to the main harness then you probably don't have the modification installed.
    Look for something resembling this: http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/markerflash.html

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    There was a wiring modification some people do to get the side markers to flash with the turn signal. But that only worked with incandescent bulbs.

You would need to see if you can restore the original wiring if that modification was done.
    Dave, I'm assuming this is because of the D in LED, diode. The mod works because incandescent bulbs don't care about the direction of current flow. Is there some other way to wire this or select a different type of LED that could get around the problem?

Jeff
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

In you first post, you say, all 4 side markers are flashing too. Please clarify All at once or independent L & R with turn signal? If with turn signal do the lights alternate the flash? Signal ON , marker OFF and Signal OFF, marker ON. Do the markers flash IF the Signal bulbs are removed? Your Looking for back feeding across the front Park/turn light sockets. The other question is, did it do this before you replaced the turn signal switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I'm also interested in why this modification doesn't work with LED's? I have converted all of the exterior bulbs besides the headlights to LED's which would include the front turn signal lights and side marker lights. I also have the correct LED flasher module (I got the complete kit from DMCH). This is a mod I'm interested in (more on the front than rear) hoping it will help with visibility since a lot of newer cars have side turn signal lights on the mirrors or fenders.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    In you first post, you say, all 4 side markers are flashing too. Please clarify All at once or independent L & R with turn signal? If with turn signal do the lights alternate the flash? Signal ON , marker OFF and Signal OFF, marker ON. Do the markers flash IF the Signal bulbs are removed? Your Looking for back feeding across the front Park/turn light sockets. The other question is, did it do this before you replaced the turn signal switch?
    All four flash, reguardless of left or right direction selected.
    Havent tried with the bulbs removed...you're talking about the front indicators, yeah?
    Before I replaced the turn signal switch, there was nothing...the switch was dead when I got the car.

Dara, All my fuses are good..though the fuse box could use a replacement..hehe.

I wouldnt mind if only the flash occured on the selected side.

I'll dig a little later today and check the front harness for possible shennanigans.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Strangeness with indicators...

Yes front indicator sockets.

What headlight switch do you have ? original or DMCH replacement. It seems like something is crossed up.

Check the connectors on the back of the headlight switch for correct position and orientation, I don't recall if they can be installed 180 out.

Last edited by DMC5180; 11-07-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'll assume original headlight switch
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

This almost sounds like a connector is mis-pinned or perhaps incorrectly installed. Have you ever pulled the connector off the headlight switch?

DENNIS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast