FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Strangeness with indicators...

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Yeah, I've had the headlight switch out..all the connectors looked good and the switch had no heating evidence.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I just checked an old headlight switch connector to see if it's possible to install in more than one way. It is Not. Do your headlights function properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Yep, all the lights work properly, so do hazards and turn indicators...just the markers being weird. One thing I note is that they arent getting full power, the markers are dim when they are flashing like that...but bright when turned on normally.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Okay, that sounds like back feeding. Definitely try removing the front indicator bulbs.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    Dave, I'm assuming this is because of the D in LED, diode. The mod works because incandescent bulbs don't care about the direction of current flow. Is there some other way to wire this or select a different type of LED that could get around the problem?

Jeff
    Not sure if a bi-directional LED would work with that modification. It also depends on the low resistance of the light bulb when not powered (just lights on, no turn signal).

I installed a little circuit that drives each side marker using the lights and blinkers as signals to that circuit. All four of my side lights have that circuit since I have all LEDs. I think it was one IC to make two circuits work. It needed a constant power wire also.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?27...t=side+blinker
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 11-07-2016 at 05:41 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Ok....I removed the front indicator lights one at a time..and it seems theres something in the front harness going on cause with the bulbs out I get only the rear indicators flashing.

I'll try and dig into that tomorrow and see if its a fault with the harness or if that mod was done.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Strangeness with indicators...

Is there any corrosion present in the those front sockets?

Also try reinstalling the OEM 1157 bulbs. Make sure the nubs on the side of the bulbs are in the correct phase position too. They are not the same height on each side. Wait is it possible you installed the wrong type LED in the front sockets. If that were to happen and you used a 1156 style LED in the front Sockets, the center contact of the 1156 base could bridge the Double contacts in socket base. This would cross feed the Park/tail and side markers.

Last edited by DMC5180; 11-07-2016 at 08:38 PM.
    DENNIS

Sockets look ok. The correct LEDs are in the front (two contacts). The original bulbs were dead.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Strangeness with indicators...

Just to confirm, with the Front LEDs removed, all the remaining lights functioned normally?

When you get back to it, try reinstalling just one front LED at a time, perhaps you can isolate a side that's causing the issue. Those front sockets can cause weird things to happen.

Last edited by DMC5180; 11-07-2016 at 09:14 PM.
    DENNIS

yerp...lol
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast