FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dash Removal..

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Dash Removal..

Ok I looked around and couldnt find a writeup on this (aside from binnacle removal)...

Is there a good step by step on removing the whole dash? I figured while my interior is gutted, I might as well pull that to see if I can make it not look so bad and see if I need new speakers (hooray to the genius that didnt make those more accesible).

Thanks
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    4519

Kings1527 has a good write-up here: http://delorean6575revisited.blogspo...l?view=sidebar but his pics are no longer available on the site. Might be worth a shot to PM him & ask if he has the accompanying pics available.

I recall when I took mine out it, a flex-head 10mm wrench was very useful (advice from Alex as well.)

I'll look to see if I have any pics...

Thanks, I'll look at that
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Ok I looked around and couldnt find a writeup on this (aside from binnacle removal)...

Is there a good step by step on removing the whole dash? I figured while my interior is gutted, I might as well pull that to see if I can make it not look so bad and see if I need new speakers (hooray to the genius that didnt make those more accesible).

Thanks
    Rob - you don't need to pull the dash to get to the front speakers. Yes, they're a pain to access but it is possible with extensions. I do recommend that you remove the seats though (hopefully you have not re-installed them yet since you installed the sound insulation) because you will need the space to lay on your back.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks
    If your dash is looking rough, it is possible to cover it with upholstery and reinstall it, as I did. However, If you've never done upholstery before, this is very difficult - getting the ripples out and seams flat is tough, then once you have it complete the challenge is installing it without tearing it up from the A post trim. I still haven't done anything with my speaker holes yet, maybe next month...

-----Dan B.

Yeah, I know you can get the speakers out without pulling the dash...but my dash is really badly baked, so I figured a good idea to get it out while the car is still empty (havent put my seats or carpet back in yet).

Not sure which route I'll go on recovering or replacing it.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Yeah, I know you can get the speakers out without pulling the dash...but my dash is really badly baked, so I figured a good idea to get it out while the car is still empty (havent put my seats or carpet back in yet).

Not sure which route I'll go on recovering or replacing it.

You might also consider repairing it and painting it. Recovering is not easy since it fits tightly into other pieces. Fortunately DMCH does sell a remaned part but there have been some have complaints about fit.
    David Teitelbaum

Here's a pic of the dash, the dash pad isnt quite as bad as I remembered (have had one of those covers on it to hide it..hehe), but it is all dark n icky..of course the binnacle is knackered..and my a-pillars are warped n icky..hehe.

20161108_153015.jpg

I could prolly deal with the one crack in the dash, if someone has a good way to clean up all the age n stuff off it.

Oh..and in case youre wondering, the green tape on the steering wheel is there to tell me about where center is..I dont have a wheel puller to get it off and fix it, and put the new indicator assembly on.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    05141

I resprayed my dashboard while installed, but that is not an issue here.
    Removing the dashboard is not easy. The middle bolts are very hard to reach, that is why I decided to paint in the car
    Mask everything, take a deep breath and.....

Jan

Steering with power

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I tried the paint route, it lasted for many years before it pealed off and looked bad again. Not only that, the filled and repaired cracks were still pretty obvious under the paint. After getting a lot of mixed reviews of the new dashboards DMCH sells, I decided recovering it was my best option and it was already out due to an evaporator replacement (again). This project cost me about $50 in upholstery compared to $300.

If you don't want to deal with removal then spraying the dash in place like already stated is probably your best bet. You'll risk damaging the dash further trying to remove it if you don't know what you're doing - you can also damage the A post trim if you don't know what you're doing. Either way - once you're done repairing it, it makes a world of difference!
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast