FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Side marker flasher

My VIN:    03572

Side marker flasher

I was wondering how much interest there would be if I provided a product for flashing the side markers with your turn signals that works with LED bulbs.

I would guess it would cost about $30 for one unit that will do two side markers (front or back). Circuit boards are the most cost and then shipping costs. The more boards I buy the less it cost me.

Price also depends on how the connections are made. Cheap would be you solder your own wire to holes (pads) on the circuit board.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    05457

I don't mind soldering, but at a $30 price point (very affordable in my mind) I think you could increase the price a little if it meant solder free connections.

The bigger issue in my mind on whether or not I'd buy it is how much modification is needed to the existing wiring? I don't like making electrical modifications that are difficult to reverse. Example: I overcomplicated the install of your dome light relay so that I wouldn't have to cut or splice into my harness. I can go back to the stock wiring setup in about 30 minutes. To me it isn't about how easy it is to install, it is more about how much of a modification is required.
    David Proehl

I could use the power from the blinker and "parking lights" to power the side lights but it would need a diode and drop the voltage to the side lights by 0.6 volts.

You would wire each of the two side lights (two wires each) to the circuit board, the two blinker wires would need to be spliced to run those two wires, one "parking light" wire spliced, and one ground wire. I would also have an optional +12 volt wire if you don't want that 0.6 volt drop.

I could attach short wires so the user can use crimp butt connectors. I could find a connector either wired with short wires or circuit board mounted. Or attach long wires. The long wires may push shipping because the weight goes above first class mail.
    Dave M vin 03572

I am definitely interested in this!
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    6313

+1 I'll buy a set.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Ahh.. a faulty front indicator socket will do this with no extra wiring needed (how do I know?)...hehe.

Ideally, something plug n play would be great as opposed to having to do modifications to the wiring.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

So since my car has all leds now, simy switching the ground from the blinker to the front side marker wouldn't work because there leds? Well if you build it i'd buy it and solder if I have to. Sounds cool!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Dave,
    I'm curious as to how you would wire this up. I'm running all LEDS and currently have the front side markers blinking. However, after I converted the bulbs in the binnacle, I noticed an issue with current flow and causing my turn signal indicators to glow when the parking lights are on. Turns out the old dmcnews.com tech article that says the blinker module grounding the circuit and allowing the side marker light to work is wrong. The 3 turn signal bulbs in parallel reduced the resistance enough that the side marker could simply ground through them without them appearing to eliminate. Once they are all LED however, the binnacle indicator can now glow from that low amount of current.

So my plan is to now reverse the change and install one of these on each side:
    http://www.modifry.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=75

This eliminates the need for the side marker to ground through the turn signals. But it would only work for the front markers unless you buy another set for the rear ones and wire at the tail lights. If you have a more elegant solution, I'm very interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    So my plan is to now reverse the change and install one of these on each side:
    http://www.modifry.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=75
    Not sure how those work. On my design I used via proto type, you cut the side marker light wires off the harness and attach to my board. Then you tap into the harness to get the "lights" and "blinker" That provides the signals and will provide the power for the new board. My board will have two channels so it can do both front side markers. Probably will rate it for 3 amps max since that is a common diode current rating.

So the front board will attach the two side lights (4 wires), one "lights" wire, two blinker wires and one ground wire.

I mounted my front board under the front grill. The rear board is under the passenger side tail light. My proto type boards also ran a power wire but I could eliminate that requirement by using two diodes to get power via the "lights or blinker" wires.

So the board will have two diodes, one XOR gate, two MOSFETs and some resistors and zener diodes. The board will not be boxed but probably have shrink wrap to cover it.
    Dave M vin 03572

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

OK, so similar setup. The one I linked to simply does it with two components versus your single one.

For now I'm going to disconnect the original mod so that my turn signal indicators in the binnacle don't glow when I have the headlights on. At some point I'll then get around to doing either the item I linked to or yours (depending on how it ultimately wires in). Considering how much of a pain it is to run wire to driver side marker light area from the grill area, I'm not in a rush. LOL

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast