FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Side marker flasher

My VIN:    03572

Got the boards and assembled one. Bench test looks good. I don't know if I'm going to install these in my car since I already have proto types (front and back) that are installed and already working. My proto types use a constant power source but these new boards don't need that.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Looks damn good!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

I made a simple engineering change. I replaced three resistors with diodes and replaced three zener diodes with resistors. With my bench testing I found that if the car was all LEDs the original design had a problem. My car still has incandescent bulbs in the turn signal indicators (dash) which is why I never saw that problem. So it looks like I am going to install these new boards in my car after all.

I'm waiting on those new parts to arrive. Diodes are longer than the resistors so I had to order some shorter diodes and longer resistors.

I'm still troubled with the fact a lot of people won't want to attempt to install these because you will need to splice and cut wires. I guess they could ask for help from someone that does electrical car stuff.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Alot of people may be worried about permanantly damaging the wiring harness (which is expensive)..also many may not be comfortable with doing it.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    05457

For those that don't want to modify their stock harness, perhaps an adapter that plugs into the stock bulb socket could work. So it would plug into the existing socket and split power off from there, kind of like the Craig radio harness extension a couple vendors used to sell so you could splice into the extension rather than the stock harness when making stereo mods.

I know that makes for a messier install with more wire, but that might help a few folks out. Depending on the wiring needs for this I was thinking I might build something like that myself so I could still buy this from you.
    David Proehl

the wiring changes are so minimal that I wouldn't bother about them, considering that the side lights sockets are often rusted and need to be replaced anyhow..
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

I have to write up a color code table. You may need some extra wire. I don't remember how the harness routes. If all the wires are in one location you would not need extra wire if you mounted the board near that location.

I removed my side light sockets a long time ago when I installed LEDs. I used the same LED design used for my door lights which was 4 LEDs driven by a constant current (30 ma.) LM317 IC.
    Dave M vin 03572

I rewired half my car anyway years ago and have no problem installing this Dave! Looking forward to its release. Btw since my car is all LED's, would the standard mod for the front marker turned flasher still apply, being all led and such?

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

I do love the idea of all the sides flashing. Chevy did that on there mid to late 2000's Silverado's.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    I rewired half my car anyway years ago and have no problem installing this Dave! Looking forward to its release. Btw since my car is all LED's, would the standard mod for the front marker turned flasher still apply, being all led and such?

My board will work with any combination of LEDs or bulbs (current limit of 1.5 amps for each side light). The original wiring change to get side lights flashing only worked reliably with incandescent bulbs. Since with my board you need to run both side light wires to my board, the cars that had the old mode will change that mod. Your front and rear signal lights would put those cut ground wires back to ground.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast