FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Shifter rod Snapped!

My VIN:    4870

Shifter rod Snapped!

Well that sucked. I decided to take the car for a drive to work (nice ride), so I pull into the lot and back into the spot. I popped out, it looked a little off line so I pull it up and straighten it out, go to back up again and the shifter pulled right out of the boot.. it broke right at the cotter pin hole. I just got the replacement in the mail (dpi = beautiful) now Im trying to figure to take out the broken one and install this beauty. Any tips or pics? Help would be really great..
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Maybe I did it wrong but for me I had to actually disassemble the shifter mechanism (pressed the pins from the sides out) in order to install the new one, also from DPI. It wasn't as simple as popping the old one out and putting the new one in with the spring and clip on the bottom.

Edit:
    For more info, see this thread:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?72...ff-at-its-base
    Last edited by dn010; 11-10-2016 at 09:00 AM. Reason: add link
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I just did the stick replacement 6 weeks ago.

You need to remove the shifter assembly. To do this you need to disconnect the front push rod at the center bell crank. Then remove the cross gate fork pivot bolt at shifter. Once fork pivot is loose you can gain access to the cable clevis hairpin clip. Remove clip and clevis pin. Now you have open access to the 4 bolts that hold the assembly. Remove the bolts and lift the assembly out. It will come out with a little coaxing to get by the fuel lines.

I was able to remove and replace the stick but had the help of an assistant. I did not separate the knuckle assembly. This job can go bad quickly if you loose the tiny e-clip. I almost did and was sweating bullets till it was found.

I highly recommend you send the assembly to DPI or PJ Grady (Rob has lots of experience replacing those sticks)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post

I highly recommend you send the assembly to DPI or PJ Grady (Rob has lots of experience replacing those sticks)

+1. It is a fiddly and pain in the ass job.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

All done. It is a pain in the ass. It really was'nt so bad I guess, just getting the little clip around the bottom of the shifter on was a nightmare. And I lost the pin that goes through the shifter and had to make my own. All back together now and it looks good. I've been missing the boot for the shifter but now having the stainless rod I think I'm going to leave it off. Great write up and pics helped a lot, and a big shout out to Josh at DPI for a great product and fast shipping! Thanks everyone! A big help as usual.
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

Did you get the washer between the e-clip and spring back on?

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Did you get the washer between the e-clip and spring back on?

I did. Its going to haunt my dreams but I did get it on. It was a 2 man job.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    I did. Its going to haunt my dreams but I did get it on. It was a 2 man job.
    Now you see why I said, send it to an expert

DENNIS