Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Florida vacation tips

My VIN:    01598

Club(s):   (DCH)

Thanks guys!
    Keep em coming!

Svein
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1973 Plymouth Road Runner
    x1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    x1975 Chevrolet El Camino
    x1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring
    x1966 Lincoln Continental
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    3937

If you're going to be there June/July, you could go see a baseball game either in Miami (the Marlins) or in Tampa (the Rays). If it was March, I'd say go see a spring training game, but that's not the case. Hockey and basketball will be done by then and football won't have started yet.

I used to go see Dodgers spring training in Vero Beach when I was a kid. I remember eating at a place called Joe's Crabshack somewhere in that area. The baseball facility got moved to Phoenix a few years ago, but I would imagine the restaurant is still there.

If you are over near Tampa or Sarasota, some other ideas are the LEGOLAND park, the Ringling Brothers Circus museum (Sarasota) and the Sarasota Car Museum.

If you're going to eat in that area, you could try a place called The Dry Dock. It is on Long Boat Key just off St. Armand's Circle which is right at the water (the gulf side) on the edge of Sarasota. There won't be any eating contests there, but it is very good (and somewhat expensive too). They have a grouper specialty, but I don't know for sure it will be in season when you're there. I think you can go out in a charter fishing boat too from that place and if you wanted to make a day of it, come back and have them prepare what you caught.

If you do go out that way, you can't miss the "kissing sailor/nurse" war time statue that is on display right at the bay and on the mainland side of the bridge. That's a real nice area too if you go for a walk over the bridge or in that little marina area.

At the very end of the state/country/roads in Key West, you can check out the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum. Shipwreck stuff and whatnot. I was there years ago and they had a huge hunk of gold bar that was safely enclosed in a big case, but still had openings to let you reach in and pick it up to feel the weight. That area is a cruise ship docking spot if I'm not mistaken.

Last time I checked, the Fantasy of Flight place was closed unfortunately.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

Here's a photo that popped up on my Facebook page about Ginny Springs. It gives you an idea of how clear the springs are. It's about 45 minutes from the Ichetucknee River, I posted earlier.
    https://www.facebook.com/90295820310...type=3&theater
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by NJP548 View Post
    Svein,

You can check out George's Music in Orlando and see the DeLorean rotting away in the parking lot.

http://www.georgesmusic.com/georges-...rlando-fl.html

-Nick
    Ha! I realized that I drive by the back of this store twice a day on I-4, so today I stopped in. The car is the owner's, and the employee said that it was one of George's favorite cars, so he's sharing it with the customers. As usual, it was drawing attention. It is a 10,000 series vin, and it had a turbo emblem on the back. The employee said that indeed it is a turbo car. Sadly, as a road going car, it's weather beaten and in need of a full restoration, but surprisingly it was undamaged and seemed complete. Who am I to judge how an owner wants to use or not use his car.

The employees were friendly and customer focused. If you are into music, the store has great reviews.

image.jpg
    Sorry for the orientation...
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Ha! I realized that I drive by the back of this store twice a day on I-4, so today I stopped in. The car is the owner's, and the employee said that it was one of George's favorite cars, so he's sharing it with the customers. As usual, it was drawing attention. It is a 10,000 series vin, and it had a turbo emblem on the back. The employee said that indeed it is a turbo car. Sadly, as a road going car, it's weather beaten and in need of a full restoration, but surprisingly it was undamaged and seemed complete. Who am I to judge how an owner wants to use or not use his car.

The employees were friendly and customer focused. If you are into music, the store has great reviews.

image.jpg
    Yea the last time I visited Orlando I had to tell them everything about the car that I knew of it. I see it everytime I'm in town and usually take a ton of pics. I know it's insane, but it's still a Delorean.

I call him George. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post

image.jpg
    Im stopping by to see it! ☺
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    Im stopping by to see it! ☺
    Cool. Also, it looks like you have chosen great places and got some good suggestions. For places to eat I have 2 suggestions if you are in the International Drive area:

For a carnivore's paridise: Fogo de Chao

For a nice dinner in a great upscale atmosphere The Capital Grille
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Thanks!

Today it's exactly a half year till im going!

Merry Christmas from Norway everybody!
    Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

While in Naples check out the REVS Institute: http://revsinstitute.org/

I live a few minutes from DMCFL and it's always good viewing for D's especially Proto-1.
    Proto 1 info.jpg
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    While in Naples check out the REVS Institute: http://revsinstitute.org/

I live a few minutes from DMCFL and it's always good viewing for D's especially Proto-1.
    Proto 1 info.jpg
    Hi there,

How is DMCFLs stock of DeLoreans for sale these days? When I was there in July, there were only 2 in the showroom, stacked on a rack in the corner, and the only cars in the lot were customers cars awaiting service. As a car guy, I didn't mind wading thorough closely packed Lamborghini's and other hardware (like a mint Grand National) to see Proto 1 and the concours car again, but if I was shopping for a D, it would be great to have had a selection like when I bought my car there in 2013. Perhaps it was just a low stock period...
    Dana

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast