FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Accidentally left accessories on...

My VIN:    10907

Accidentally left accessories on...

Well, just when I was feeling slightly less like a stupid n00b, I came out at the end of my shift tonight and discovered that I'd left the key turned on to the first notch for about 6 hours. (I work behind a barbed wire fence so I leave the windows open during the day, and had gone out to close them at sunset.) The car started right up so the battery wasn't drained or anything (it actually started easier than it sometimes does on a cold start) but I wouldn't have hurt anything by leaving it sitting like that all night, would I?

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

No, but I would be more worried about leaving your key in the car un-locked
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    No, but I would be more worried about leaving your key in the car un-locked
    I was about to say the same thing! There was a recent post about an owner who left the keys in his car just a few seconds while paying for parking and had it stolen. Be careful!
    David Proehl

Don't worry, I lock it up if I'm just at Costco or something, but my workplace is gated and fenced in, and everybody there has had a background check, so it's more than anyone's job is worth to mess with it.

It started up really easy after that, so maybe I should switch it on and let it warm up on my last break every night, LOL...

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

It's not good for the battery long term to partially drain it like that often, It will reduce the life of it. Once or twice will not hurt it but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's not good for the battery long term to partially drain it like that often, It will reduce the life of it. Once or twice will not hurt it but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Since all of the accessory loads were turned off (the radio, heater, etc) all you did was power a relay. Not much load and you obviously didn't hurt anything. If you left it in the ON position you could burn out the ignition coil. Just take it as a lesson to be more careful in the future. You don't want Biff getting into the car when you aren't looking!
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks,guys. I'll try to be more careful about avoiding damage to the electrical system and/or the space-time continuum in the future.

(I think part of the reason I'd gotten lazy about taking the key out when it's in a safe place is, it's been sticking sometimes when I put it in or take it out. Would it be safe to use something like graphite lock lubricant in the ignition?)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Thanks,guys. I'll try to be more careful about avoiding damage to the electrical system and/or the space-time continuum in the future.

(I think part of the reason I'd gotten lazy about taking the key out when it's in a safe place is, it's been sticking sometimes when I put it in or take it out. Would it be safe to use something like graphite lock lubricant in the ignition?)
    Powdered graphite is exactly the correct thing to use to lubricate the locks. Do them all.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Don't worry, I lock it up if I'm just at Costco or something, but my workplace is gated and fenced in, .
    And I'll bet there are monitor cameras all over the place too. . .
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    And I'll bet there are monitor cameras all over the place too. . .
    Yeah, they're pretty low-res but the lot's under human surveillance too.