FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Passenger Side Mirror

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Broken Passenger Side Mirror

While pushing the car into the garage, the person steering got too close to the garage door jamb and broke the mirror even though it was folded in. Now, instead of swiveling it hangs loosely. Is it possible to fix it or do I have to buy a new mirror assembly? If it has to be replaced, are ther instructions posed on the web somewhere?
    Shannon

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Depends how bad the damage is...I'd think replace cause the one I had didnt look like it could be repaired.

Swapping them is pretty easy, though a lil fiddly..pretty much remove the upper door card, peel back the plastic thingy (if you have one) , then there are 3 nuts that hold it on...just have to make sure you dont drop them into the door when you take them off.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Take the old one off. You have to do that in any case. Take it apart and see if you can repair it. If you can't then order another one. If you don't mind getting a used one there are vendors that have them and they will be a little cheaper. Don't feel bad. I have heard of several stories of where the owner backed the car out of the garage to wash it and it would not start so they pushed it back in WITH THE DRIVER'S DOOR OPEN! Once that door gets tweaked by hitting the door jamb of the garage it is never the same and a whole lot more expensive to fix than a mirror.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    While pushing the car into the garage, the person steering got too close to the garage door jamb and broke the mirror even though it was folded in. Now, instead of swiveling it hangs loosely. Is it possible to fix it or do I have to buy a new mirror assembly? If it has to be replaced, are ther instructions posed on the web somewhere?
    You might be table to fix it. Underneath the pivot there is a small plastic cover that you can pry off. Then look at the retainer. If the clip simply popped off you can put it back together. If the clip snapped it gets a bit more complicated, but once you can see it you should understand what happened, and be able to post a photo if not.

Replacement is not too difficult, just remove the upper interior door panel, and the pillar trim that runs up the front of the door. Both are held on by fir tree clips. There are three screws that hold the mirror to the car. Simply unplug the wire and remove the mirror. You will need to do this anyway if you need to repair the retainer as the retainer that holds the pivot has the wiring going through the center of the clip.

The new mirror will come with the wiring attached but you will need to move the plastic connector shell from the old mirror to the new (that's how they are stocked).
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    You might be table to fix it. Underneath the pivot there is a small plastic cover that you can pry off. Then look at the retainer. If the clip simply popped off you can put it back together. If the clip snapped it gets a bit more complicated, but once you can see it you should understand what happened, and be able to post a photo if not.

Replacement is not too difficult, just remove the upper interior door panel, and the pillar trim that runs up the front of the door. Both are held on by fir tree clips. There are three screws that hold the mirror to the car. Simply unplug the wire and remove the mirror. You will need to do this anyway if you need to repair the retainer as the retainer that holds the pivot has the wiring going through the center of the clip.

The new mirror will come with the wiring attached but you will need to move the plastic connector shell from the old mirror to the new (that's how they are stocked).
    It looks like I have a door panel removal in store for me either way. I'll take it off and go from there. Hopefully the clip simply fell off. Is the clip something that would have fallen inside the miiror or on the ground. I've never taken the mirror apart before.
    Shannon

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Don't feel bad. I have heard of several stories of where the owner backed the car out of the garage to wash it and it would not start so they pushed it back in WITH THE DRIVER'S DOOR OPEN! Once that door gets tweaked by hitting the door jamb of the garage it is never the same and a whole lot more expensive to fix than a mirror.
    Ask me how I know about this... You must know my previous owner. LOL
    That door is the bane of my existance.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    5180

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    It looks like I have a door panel removal in store for me either way. I'll take it off and go from there. Hopefully the clip simply fell off. Is the clip something that would have fallen inside the miiror or on the ground. I've never taken the mirror apart before.
    For now, just pop the cover out. This is what it is supposed to look like.

It's a push on one way retainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I got the mirror off. Actually pretty easy. I popped off the bottom panel and see the retainer clip and three washers. I just need to re-assemble it loks like to me. Thanks for all the help.IMG_20161123_190115955 (Large).jpgIMG_20161123_185235714 (Large).jpgIMG_20161123_185216978 (Large).jpg
    Shannon

My VIN:    5180

Cool, that should be a Snap to fix!..........Ba-bump, tisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Well I started to push everything together and saw that the retainer ring/clip is broken. What's the next step? Where to find a new one and how do I get it on that cord? The only way I can see is to pull the wires out of the plug, pull the wire through to hole in the mirror body, replace the ring/clip and push the wires back through the mirror body hole and back into the plastic plug.
    Last edited by lazabby; 11-23-2016 at 09:19 PM.
    Shannon

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast