FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Hole in the floor! 😟

Angry Hole in the floor! 😟

Today I decided to remove the seats.

Since I got the car in June the rails were very difficult to adjust so I knew taking the seats out would be a can of worms. While I was removing them I learned that someone had previously removed the driver's seat and replaced both studs on one side with standard hardware. This was terrible because it made removing the nuts on the bottom very difficult.

Crappy standard hardware:
    IMG_20161113_114433.jpg

Anyway, when I finally got the driver's side seat out I found a rather large hole in the floor board. It's in the fiberglass, how do I properly patch this one?

Under the driver's seat:
    IMG_20161113_114330.jpg

The hole from the top:
    IMG_20161113_114338.jpg

The hole from the bottom:
    IMG_20161113_114405.jpg

Secondarily, I've pulled the rails from both seats and I need to pull them apart so I can replace the sliding parts. Anyone have experience taking these apart? They have a spring so I'm a little weary of disassembly without understanding how to proceed...

Under seat rail system:
    IMG_20161113_105531.jpg

Spring on one side of the rail system:
    IMG_20161113_104451.jpg

Thanks,
    -Greg

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

They don't come apart and there are are no parts available separately. If the rails can't be cleaned up and made to work you are looking for new or good used ones. The rails are supposed to have studs welded onto them. As for the holes in the fiberglass, they can be fixed up by "glassing in" some metal washers.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    They don't come apart and there are are no parts available separately.
    David, this statement is wrong. DMCH sells the rails separately from the slide release arm. That's what I'm trying to separate.

I know the rails themselves are not salvageable. I plan to order new ones: https://store.delorean.com/p-9993-slide-lh.aspx I just wanted to make sure I disassemble them so I can reuse the slide release bar since that part is no longer available.
    https://store.delorean.com/p-9991-sl...lease-bar.aspx

My VIN:    06201

The slide release bar will come of, no problem.
    That spring is the only thing holding them.
    I even saved this parts.DSC_0213.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
    The slide release bar will come of, no problem.
    That spring is the only thing holding them.
    I even saved this parts.DSC_0213.jpg
    How did you get the ring off? It's like a self locking retaining ring: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/mob...s_p/a8715.htm=

Mine are pushed all the way on and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get the ring off... See the last picture in my first post for the retaining ring on my unit (top of the picture).
    Last edited by spikeygg; 11-13-2016 at 03:51 PM.

I got them apart. Those springs are a PITA.

Anyway, it looks like the DMCH rails come with the spring, catch piece, and metal retaining ring already assembled. It's way easier for me and it makes more sense this way, you just slide the slide release arm over the catch mechanism and everything should just work...

I can tell how they put this thing together at the factory now that I've been able to disassemble it. You can easily see where the spring originally scored the catch piece. Amazing that someone had to do this with every seat rail.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Check with DMCH and verify that they do actually have parts. In the Parts Manual it does not show anything but the rails, the handle and some bolts, nuts, and washers. The rails are also handed, left and right.
    David Teitelbaum