FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: My DMC was totaled:(

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Riley, my heart goes out to you. I went for a "weekend drive" late this afternoon, and something like that happening is my worst nightmare. That 5th picture is just heartbreaking -- the car looks so twisted on that back corner. That said, while looking through the pics, I was thinking the whole time that it looks totally fixable. New rear quarter panel, new rear fascia, and you're 90% there. Please don't let Hagerty total it, they would be fools to do so. Keeping fingers crossed for you, please let us know what you find out tomorrow. In the mean time, hang in there! Everything's gonna be ok and you'll be smiling again soon.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Distressing photos. Glad you're ok and hope you can get her back to good health soon without breaking the bank.

G-luck!

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

All I can say is...Ouch! Glad you all were ok though.

As for the car...ehm.. Its only a flesh wound As long as you can keep the insurance from totaling, otta be fixable.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Very sorry to hear that this happened and the fact that it was caused by such a unlikely event only puts salt on the wound. I'm not going to try and over simplify it but look at it this way. Several people including Josh has said this is a fairly easily repair. It's the end of the driving season and you have five or six months until you will really "need" the car again. The car can and will be back to normal before spring hits so basically you just gained free winter storage for the year. Most people ship their cars off to the vendors over the winter anyway for repairs...yours is just a bit more extensive but it will be right again soon.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Also sorry that some non owners saw your pictures and immediately (as usual) ran to their Facebook and posted those pictures in a very tactless and unsympathetic move. It's an unhealthy obsession these people have.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-14-2016 at 08:42 AM.

My VIN:    05457

Very sorry to see this, but glad you are ok. I would agree with the assessment of others that this is worth fixing. Not cheap to fix, but I'm sure the insurance company would agree the car is worth more than these repairs will cost.

Very heart breaking to have your baby banged up. I can imagine how devastated I'd be if this happened to my car.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

My car is your car's sibling (5311), and we are both incredibly sad to see such a close family member destroyed. Condolences, sir.
    - Chris

what

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Agreed, could have been much worse.

Let this also be a reminder for those not well versed in rear mounted engines. The momentum of such a weight in the back is pretty much unstoppable, especially downhill on a slick surface. This is one of the issues I see with the anticipated DMC new builds with big, powerful engines. Great in empty parking lots, not so great in the real world.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Very sorry to see your car in such a state
    However, the most important is that both of you are fine.
    Your car can be repaired easily, you have a lot of choice other here!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Oh man. My condolences that this happened.

Glad that you are both OK, and best wishes getting her repaired.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast