FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean: The Approachable Exotic A Short Story

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

DeLorean: The Approachable Exotic A Short Story

Once upon a time many years ago I was on my Honda CBR on an "exploratory" ride. I was alone as I often was on these little Saturday adventures and on a particular straight and long stretch of blacktop my eyes drifted and I caught a glimpse of it, over a hill I saw the distinct pair of doors hanging in the air like a referee signaling a field goal. It was unmistakable and I knew exactly what it was and nothing was going to stop me from getting a closer look.

As I circled around and pulled into a school parking lot I realized that I had stumbled upon a local car show. I had no idea what other cars were there, I was only there to see one....the DeLorean DMC-12, my dream car. I had seen them in magazines, read about all the media coverage, and I even had an advertisement stuck on my bedroom wall that would be the "fireplace mantle" of most 10 year old kid's bedrooms. This prime real estate was normally reserved for magazine clippings of the Lamborghini Countach or even the life size poster of Farrah Fawcett. However, in my room there would be a picture of a well dressed slender man in his 50's with a chiseled chin, wild gray hair and sitting on a sleek stainless steel wedge with sharp edges and doors that rose toward the sky. Now years later I was face to face with my dream car and I was indeed meeting my hero, and nowhere near disappointed.

I poured all over it asking questions "Is this a 81, 82, or 83?" "Is this the original side stripe?" After the first few questions the owner (as I remember quite elderly) said something I will always remember. "Well God bless you! Most kids your age don't even know what this is." I was most definately in some kind of black hole event horizon as time stood still for me for those moments, but in all probability, I was there for the better part of an hour, looking at that one car, the only car that mattered.

While most cars there (and at most car shows in general) the "Look But Don't Touch!" signs are a mainstay, some even discourage pictures, but this kind old man was patient with a kid who was obviously smitten with his car and allowed me to sit in it, start it up, heck I believe he may have even let me drive it if I were to ask. I knew I was overstaying my welcome (although I was probably the only one that felt that way) so I reluctantly decided it was time to get back on the road. I thanked him for his time and his generosity and we said goodbye. I'm sure he thought it was humorous to watch me dig around his car like a kid on Christmas Eve eyeing the presents under the tree, but I will always remember his kindness and openness to share his car, something that was obviously special to him.

Years later when I purchased my own DeLorean, I found myself taking the opposite road. The road that led me to a car show where my "Do Not Touch" sign was proudly displayed and found me hovering over the car glaring at any kid that wasn't wrangled in by his parent before jumping in my car with all the enthusiasm I myself had that faithful day. I didn't see a face filled with wonder, I saw a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or red clay on the shoes and that just wasn't going to happen to the car I had worked so hard for.

One day I happen to park next to a Ferrari and I was witness to the same thing I was doing, and it was wrong. The Ferrari owner was watching his car with all the tactical obedience of a guard at Area 51. He was obviously not happy and it really didn't seem like he was having a good time at all. Are not cruise in's supposed to be fun? I realized I was just as stressed out as this guy, and guess what? I wasn't having much fun either. I knew what it was, and it was going to change.

Owning a car like this can be a headache or it can be a blessing. I wanted the latter. I was going to make it a point to remember this is just a pile of metal, plastic and rubber...nothing more. If I don't destroy it, the guy that owns it after I'm gone will wreck it, or the Rapture will destroy it. Sooner or later it's toast, so stop treating it like it's some kind of everlasting prize and enjoy it for what it is, just a car. I walked over to my car and took out the specially made "Do Not Touch" badges and let anyone and everyone who wanted a closer peek to make themselves at home.

As the Ferrari owner was dispatching young onlookers away with all the callousness of Luke Skywalker shooing Jawas away from his Landspeeder, I began to let kids sit in my car and have their parents take their picture. Since then, I have probably had well over a hundred curious people stop me at the gas station, parking lot, even follow me home just for a closer look, and almost every one of them were delighted when I told them to sit in it and hand me their phone for a memorable picture. Once at dinner we parked right in front of a window and our waiter was just gushing over it. As we were leaving I invited him outside to take a closer look and tossed him the keys to take it for a spin around the block....he was blown away. I would be lying if I were not at least a little nervous watching my baby get driven by a guy who I just met, or watching over excited kids stand on the seats as they found their way out, but this is what cars like this are really for.

The majority of DeLorean owners seem to embrace this attention, not to boost their egos or draw the limelight to themselves. In fact most owners I know are quite shy and meek around crowds. The car changes that. An owner will gladly deal with being out of their comfort zone because they enjoy sharing the car with people and making others feel like they themselves felt when they first saw one. People may be somewhat timid to bother the rather busy looking Lamborghini owner with a frown on his face as he pumps gas, they are not quite as shy with a DeLorean in their sights. Maybe because it's not a 250k super car, they find it more down to Earth, and therefore the guy driving it is the same, and that's a fair assessment. It could be that to some, a Ferrari or Lamborghini sighting is a once a week occurance, but a Delorean sighting is closer to once in a decade and to see one in person makes one forget about any apprehension they have over bothering the owner, (in my case it did).

When someone stops me I often get asked "I bet you get tired of this every time you go somewhere". DeLorean owners accept that this just goes with the territory and they appreciate they fact that you appreciate it. One of those kids that sat in my car for a picture will someday be looking for thier own dream car, and they will remember their first DeLorean experience as a positive one instead of some grumpy man warning them to stand clear.

Some keep their "dream car" for a few years, then the fun of owning it seems to wear thin for reasons they can't figure why. "It's not quite as special to take her out anymore." "It's not the same as that first month I got her, the novelty has worn off." or "I don't want to deal with the picture takers and onlookers when I leave it parked in public."

I discovered the ownership experience only gets better when you let others experience it too.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-13-2016 at 11:19 PM.

My VIN:    6585

That is as beautiful as it is truthful to read. Thank you for sharing that.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5312

I very much enjoyed reading that, its something i really needed to read today too as its been a trialing day for me and my car, thank you

My VIN:    01598

Club(s):   (DCH)

Thumbs up!
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1973 Plymouth Road Runner
    x1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    x1975 Chevrolet El Camino
    x1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring
    x1966 Lincoln Continental
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    1710

There is something approachable and downright lovable about these cars. They just bring out a joy in people you truly don't see in other marques. I indeed had to remind myself sometimes that people's excitement often made them temporarily lose their manners and good sense.Like you said, in the end these are just hunks of raw materials.

I always made it a point to treat my DeLoreans like ordinary cars, too. The way I viewed it, JZD pretty much gave his life to pull off making them. So to squirrel them away and not use them for their intended purpose just seemed contrary to what JZD set out to accomplish. I gave everyone a chance to sit in mine, go for rides, and even taught multiple friends how to drive a manual transmission in them. JZD wanted an ethical car and company, so I tried to be ethical in the stewardship of my cars, too.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    6585

Not long after buying it, I spent almost 5 hours washing and detailing my DeLorean. She was beautiful! So I decided to take her out for a spin.

Not far from the house I drove past a vacant lot that blew a huge cloud of dust across my car and in less than 10 seconds undid that almost 5 hours of work. The car looked just as dirty as it did before I started washing.

Words cannot express mixture of disbelief and paralyzing rage I felt. Although this cat comes pretty close:

After that I just stopped caring about trying to always pamper and baby the car in order to keep it looking new. I just drove it to enjoy it, and started just treating it as though it were a normal, boring, regular car. And you know what? It's awesome! It was a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders, and I just enjoy the car more because of it. I certainly don't suffer fools and rude jokes and comments, but I always got to share the car and have a fun experience along the way.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Very inspiring story Michael! Thank you for sharing it.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4018

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Excellent story. I think you pointed out the real joy of owning one of these cars.

When people ask to have a picture taken with my car, I'm like "sure! that's what it's for"

Usually after a car show I'm back at home with my car in the man cave. I'll find hand prints on the doors and fenders. I'll muse to my-self, especially when I find small hand prints. I think there is a real connection when onlookers are allowed to touch the car. It seems that they are almost compelled to just to see if it's for real. Then exclaim, is that brushed aluminum!

Gary

My VIN:    07000

Owning a DeLorean can either be a blessing or a curse, depending on what kind of person you are. I agree with Michael and the rest of you - this car was designed to bring joy not only to us but to others as well. When I take mine out, I always leave plenty of time in case I have to stop for gas (which I do almost every time as my gas gauge is wonky, even with a new sender), knowing I might get someone who wants to take a pic and ask questions.
    The DeLorean is a true time-machine, because it causes some kind of time-space distortion around it, where for those moments, time does seem to stand still. I've noticed that when it seems like a long stretch of questions, photos and interest from numerous passers by, it was merely only a few minutes, and I still make it on time to my destination.

I'm not one who is shy to share my car with others and bring a smile to their face, or get a "this totally made my day" comment. I have an R2D2 we built, and take him out often - there is nothing like being able to bring a smile and joy to others. It's a car that those of us who are Believers, know that we are merely stewards of them, and for the time being, we get the chance to bless others with it.

Thanks Micheal for your story, and getting this thread going.

My VIN:    10907

Amen to that! Having random people come up and gush about my car is part of the fun. The other night I was at my friend's house and this bunch of little kids were playing in the street and I was inwardly groaning wondering if it was going to get whacked with a kickball or something, and then when I got out one of them yelled out, "Is that a DeLorean?"

Me: "Yeah!"

Kid: "Like in Back to the Future?"

Me: "Yeah!"

Kid: "That's so awesome! I gotta show my dad!"

I was so impressed that a kid whose parents probably hadn't even met when the last installment of BTTF came out, knew what a DeLorean was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast