FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cigarette Lighter Splitter

My VIN:    17097 Canadian Edition

Club(s):   (DOI)

Cigarette Lighter Splitter

Hi Guys,
    I vaguely remember seeing a thread about his before, but I can't find it now so here is a new thread on the subject:
    Anyone ever install one of these? https://www.amazon.com/VOLADOR-3-Soc.../dp/B01D5WRL9C I want to wire it directly to the wires under the console that feed the existing cigarette lighter, just to keep it all looking stock. Then I’ll hide the splitter either in the glove box or behind the kneepad. I want this for the dash cam, and the GPS. Any advice on additional steps I should take? Will the existing wiring and circuit handle this with two devices plugged in at the same time? Is there a better splitter that I should consider or has anyone used this particular one?

Thanks.

.....Mike.....

My VIN:    03572

I bought a wired cigarette lighter socket and wired it to the key on power for my GPS. I leave it in the glove box and found a "pipe" cap cover to keep metal out of it when it's not used. That unit you show should work the same. You can wire it to existing lighter wires if you want power always.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I bought a wired cigarette lighter socket and wired it to the key on power for my GPS. I leave it in the glove box and found a "pipe" cap cover to keep metal out of it when it's not used. That unit you show should work the same. You can wire it to existing lighter wires if you want power always.
    Hi Dave, Thanks for your comments. You brought to mind a thought that I hadn't considered: power-always-on. I would want it to power off when I remove the key. I guess I would need to run a new feed from a different fuse in that case, or find some other power source that the key/ignition controls. I guess I am less worried about that and more concerned about getting a good unit that I can depend on. I don't want it to overheat. I don't mind paying a little more for a reputable unit made by a well known company that will not cause a fire. With so many fires that seem to have happened recently, I guess I am a little paranoid. Also with overheating in mind, is there any danger to having the GPS and the dash cam on at the same time? Will it put a strain on anything?

......Mike......

My VIN:    3937

Here's another thought Mike... since your car is a stick shift AND you would want the power to your splitter to be switched on and off with the ignition, you could tie into the PRND21 illumination wire that's present but unused on your car instead of tying into the cigar lighter power.

The shifter illumination wire is powered only when the key is turned in the ignition as opposed to the cigar lighter power which is always on regardless of key position. That same always on power source for the cigar lighter is what also goes to the radio to keep the settings when the car is turned off and same too for the memory of the console clock when the car is off.

I would suspect the current draw would be fine on this illumination wiring as it is the same gauge thickness as all of the rest of the wiring in the car. Assuming the fuse you put in the block is adequate for running your gadgets. You might also want to just do a visual of that length of wiring under the centre console if only for a sanity check to see for certain it didn't get pinched or frayed over the years since it would have never been used on your standard transmission car. It is still there on standard trans cars, but is normally taped off and back and out of the way.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Here's another thought Mike... since your car is a stick shift AND you would want the power to your splitter to be switched on and off with the ignition, you could tie into the PRND21 illumination wire that's present but unused on your car instead of tying into the cigar lighter power.

The shifter illumination wire is powered only when the key is turned in the ignition as opposed to the cigar lighter power which is always on regardless of key position. That same always on power source for the cigar lighter is what also goes to the radio to keep the settings when the car is turned off and same too for the memory of the console clock when the car is off.

I would suspect the current draw would be fine on this illumination wiring as it is the same gauge thickness as all of the rest of the wiring in the car. Assuming the fuse you put in the block is adequate for running your gadgets. You might also want to just do a visual of that length of wiring under the centre console if only for a sanity check to see for certain it didn't get pinched or frayed over the years since it would have never been used on your standard transmission car. It is still there on standard trans cars, but is normally taped off and back and out of the way.
    I wasn't aware of that wire Jonathan. Yeah, that is an option alright. Any wire that is live only with the ignition will work, obviously. I have the console out at the moment for other stuff, so I should be able to figure it out easily.

.....Mike....

My VIN:    03572

Your GPS and dash cam current draw would be pretty low. I would guess under one amp each and probably less if the battery in the units are charged.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3937

Here's a picture of the shifter illumination wiring on an automatic:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...l=1#post165448

It is from this area on the wiring diagram. You can see how the purple wiring goes to the "always on" portions.

Shifter illumination wiring schematic screen grab.jpg

If you need some help with it, just let me know and I can meander my way over to your neck of the woods at some point and give you a hand.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It is from this area on the wiring diagram. You can see how the purple wiring goes to the "always on" portions.

If you need some help with it, just let me know and I can meander my way over to your neck of the woods at some point and give you a hand.
    Find another wire to feed it. If you blow the fuse you will lose all of your splitter accessories AND your illumination. Depending on the load you may want to add another relay so it is only powered with the key on but you can feed it directly from the battery (through fuses of course!).
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Find another wire to feed it. If you blow the fuse you will lose all of your splitter accessories AND your illumination. Depending on the load you may want to add another relay so it is only powered with the key on but you can feed it directly from the battery (through fuses of course!).
    Hi Dave, I dunno if the likelihood of blowing a fuse is THAT great. As Dave M said, there is not much of a draw really. My car is a 5 speed so that illumination is irrelevant. Having said all that, I think I would probably tap into the live feed going to the radio as it is closer to where I want the splitter to reside and it is live only when the key is on.

Jonathan, thanks for the offer, but I will be fine. I will gradually chip away at this over the Winter months as I am doing other stuff also. I have the console out at the moment redoing my armrest compartment, and I have a little plan to rectify the console curl at the front of the console, and a few other little things here and there. So I am not in any screaming rush to get this done right away as the car will not be back on the road again until the Spring. I just wanted to bounce this off you guys and see if I was overlooking anything.

Thanks Guys.

......Mike......

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

All kinds of things can wind up in those sockets like coins, pens and such and they WILL blow the fuses. Take the proper precautions. Tripling up the # of sockets only increases the possibility of bad things happening. Give it it's own circuit so you still can have other things function.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast