FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: What is the value of an Alpine GT manifold with the two carbs?

My VIN:    5470

What is the value of an Alpine GT manifold with the two carbs?

I have some friends in France (my wife hails from there) and have asked them to see if they know of anyone selling any PRV manifolds in their clubs. One guy knows someone who has a 1977 Alpine GT manifold with the 2 carb set up. According to Wikipedia, it's this one:

A310 V6 Series 1 1977–1980 2664 cc (R 30 TS) V6
    Power 150 hp (110 kW).
    1 carburetor single throat Solex 34 TBIA and 1 carburetor double throat Solex 35 CEEI

manif.jpg

Any idea what it's worth? He said to make an offer. Also, any idea how much it weighs? Is this steel or aluminium?

Thanks,
    -Rick

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Cast aluminum. Usually sells for $100-$150 without carbs, though some owners have found them in junkyards for less than $100 complete with the Solex carbs (*cough*Andrew*cough*)
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

As Patrick correctly noted, I've become very familiar with that particular carb setup :-) In addition to the Alpine, the dual Solex setup was also used on a Renault R30, the Peugeot 504 and 604 and a Citron. However, on this side of the pond the only car to use that setup was the Peugeot.

To most carbed DMC guys the value of the Alpine setup is the manifold. The carbs themselves are usually replaced with an Autolite 2150. I've actually been able to locate 2 complete Solex systems and I was able to get both working.

The Solexs can be a challenge to tune. Most parts are very difficult to get, and some are NLA. Interestingly, there is a performance shop in EU that specializes in Alpines. They are offering a Holley 390 conversion package which uses a modified manifold.

Both of my Solex systems were sourced from junkyard Peugeot 604s. I paid $250 each for the complete system. From others i've talked to 250 seems to be the going price for the manifold, unless somebody wants, them the Solexs don't really have much value.

Is your friend located in France or in the US?
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    1776

I have this system on my DeLorean as well; in my case it came from a Renault Alpine GTA Atmo. Not too many people use the Solex carbs, but I have had good luck tuning mine. I'd be interested in a spare set if he wants to sell.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Of the two Solex systems I found, the first one was a real pain to tune, but I later discovered that the base gaskets were leaking. I replaced the base gaskets and used a decent amount of hi-tack to provide a better seal and I haven't had a problem since. Before I installed the second system I replaced the base gaskets and didn't have any tuning problems at all.

One of the more interesting aspects of the Solex system is the choke setup. Specifically, it uses a coolant operated choke thermostat. I was able to find a replacement thermostat, with Dustybarn's help from a German company that sells French car parts. However when I recently checked, that part is now NLA. To make matters worse the company won't ship to the US because of our product liability laws.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

The alpine manifolds equipped with functional and or service ready carbs are worth a good amount. This system is easier to maintain compared to failure prone K jet systems in terms of servicing. Taking into account the cost of keeping K jet on the road a form fit and function alpine manifold that looks the part compared to home made versions with carbs is worth 2800-3500 depending.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    5470

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Is your friend located in France or in the US?
    He's in France. Actually, it's the husband of my wife's best friend. He's a car guy. I'm a car guy. That transcends any language barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Cast aluminum.
    Good. That would mean it would be less outrageous to ship. However, I think he wants about $200 for it, so the shipping might make it a bit overpriced.

Can these units be found in the US from time to time?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Usually sells for $100-$150 without carbs, though some owners have found them in junkyards for less than $100 complete with the Solex carbs (*cough*Andrew*cough*)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I paid $250 each for the complete system. From others i've talked to 250 seems to be the going price for the manifold
    Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    The alpine manifolds equipped with functional and or service ready carbs are worth a good amount...... a form fit and function alpine manifold that looks the part compared to home made versions with carbs is worth 2800-3500 depending.
    That's quite a range. DeloreanIndustries - have you seen them sold for these prices? I know that Bill sells his custom made ones for ~$1500 for a kit with carb. That seems high if a stock manifold could be had for $250, no?

I would like to find a nice manifold to pair with an Autolite 2150 carb. I've heard such great things about them, and my goal is to have as a reliable car as is possible. I'd keep the K-Jet boxed and stored in the basement for the next owner, should they choose to go back to original.

Quote Originally Posted by rickjames8 View Post
    He's in France. Actually, it's the husband of my wife's best friend. He's a car guy. I'm a car guy. That transcends any language barrier.

Good. That would mean it would be less outrageous to ship. However, I think he wants about $200 for it, so the shipping might make it a bit overpriced.

Can these units be found in the US from time to time?

That's quite a range. DeloreanIndustries - have you seen them sold for these prices? I know that Bill sells his custom made ones for ~$1500 for a kit with carb. That seems high if a stock manifold could be had for $250, no?

I would like to find a nice manifold to pair with an Autolite 2150 carb. I've heard such great things about them, and my goal is to have as a reliable car as is possible. I'd keep the K-Jet boxed and stored in the basement for the next owner, should they choose to go back to original.
    Like everything else in economics, the price is dictated by supply and demand. The manifolds do pop up on the forums from time to time. I can think of at least two others that I have seen for sale in the United States in the past year or so. The price really depends on how much the seller wants for the manifold and how much the buyer is willing to pay. I happen to love my Peugoet manifolds, thus to me they are worth their weight in gold. However to a junk yard guy who doesn't know what he has, the value of a Peugeot manifold is $1.00 more then he can get from an aluminum scrapper.

With regard to my two manifolds, the junk yard workers that I spoke to had no idea why I wanted the complete fuel system from their Peugeot 604. All they knew was that they had a strange French car that nobody was calling for parts on. The first intake I found was from a junk yard in Idaho. The guy at the junk yard said the car had been sitting in the yard for 20 years. In all those years, I was the first person to ever want a part from the car.

The manifolds are more common in Europe and Australia, thus, some have sourced manifolds from those areas, albeit at a significant shipping cost.

A while ago Bill had a number of Peugeot manifolds on his shelf that he was stockpiling for conversion packages, but I don't know if all of those are now sold or spoken for. The advantage of Bill's kit is that it is a complete conversion, with a new or rebuilt Autolite carb, custom adapter plate, new fuel pump and all the necessary brackets etc.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177