FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: JZD to the big screen at last?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

That should bring the DeLorean saga to a new generation because there is one thing that is fact and that is millennials love to watch documentaries.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by ILM1010 View Post
    Don't we have enough documentaries about this story, what about a movie with actors to tell the story, like George Clooney
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    But the big thing now is that we finally have The Internet at our disposal to fact-checking. And we even carry it around with us in our pockets all the time. Isn't DeLorean in jail? No. Helicopter engine in the back? No. I think that his daughter Kathryn's response to the TV show, The Goldbergs is also a shining example of both that fact-checking ability, but also instant feedback to the press. Sometimes, as I found out with the Los Angeles Times when I contacted them via e-mail to correct an inaccuracy about DeLoreans in an article, the press is wonderfully easy to deal with. They instantly corrected the info for all to see. In other cases such as with the TV show here, the response was to continually delete the posts which just seemed to have induced a Streisand effect to the topic which led to more people being correctly informed.

Likewise, screenwriters and directors also can, as they see fit, insert so many fictitious plot devices to sweeten a story that they radically rewrite history to suit their vision. Something you can't easily do today given that viewers will call you out and turn on you in a heartbeat. But can still establish falsehoods in the minds of the viewers. Which is potentially the problem here. The telling of this story is going to be at the mercy of the director.
    Historical inaccuracy and plot fluffing are exactly what makes me so nervous about the possibility of a live action movie. If you want proof that this still occurs, just watch the film Selma. That movie portrays LBJ as an obstructionist and foe to the Civil Rights Movement, when it's so thoroughly documented that LBJ couldn't have been further from that. Ultimately, the movie was taken to task for this inaccuracy, and it prevented the film from becoming the watershed biopic it could have been. The last thing we need the DeLorean story to be associated with is further failure such as that.

Not that documentaries can't do the same thing. Absolutely anything the British media come up with on the subject of DeLorean is massively and even comically slanted against the DeLorean story. The Car Crash and The Car's The Star documentaries are probably the most glaring examples.

The recent Petrolicious documentary was the very first honest documentary on the subject since the Pennebaker Hegedus film 35 years ago; I was hoping the Petrolicious doc would lead to a project exactly like this one. I'm terribly pleased that Tamir's film is the one that's finally going to see the light of day. He's one of a handful of people in the world who has thoroughly researched and documented the story of the man, company, and car over a period of decades. Entermyworld.com is the "granddaddy" website for all things DeLorean, and remains the go-to source today. I don't think JZD's story could be in safer hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    That should bring the DeLorean saga to a new generation because there is one thing that is fact and that is millennials love to watch documentaries.
    I'm living proof of that! I've never really considered it before, but every millennial I know is definitely addicted to things like documentaries and podcasts. too.
    Louie Golden

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post

I'm living proof of that! I've never really considered it before, but every millennial I know is definitely addicted to things like documentaries and podcasts. too.
    Actually I was being sarcastic.

My VIN:    6585

I'm terribly pleased that Tamir's film is the one that's finally going to see the light of day. He's one of a handful of people in the world who has thoroughly researched and documented the story of the man, company, and car over a period of decades. Entermyworld.com is the "granddaddy" website for all things DeLorean, and remains the go-to source today. I don't think JZD's story could be in safer hands.
    True, but at the same time, Tamir isn't the one directing the film. So we really don't know how it will turn out because we've no idea what the angle of the film based off the vision of the director or directors is going to be. How does that get presented?

• Is JZD going to be portrayed as being weak and getting in over his head with the automotive project that he couldn't manage?
    • Will he be the villain that through greed becomes responsible for DMC's demise?
    • Will he be the hero that is destroyed through a vast conspiracy theory against him that wanted him to fail at any cost?
    • Will the DMC-12 be presented as a rushed, and poorly engineered car that is blamed for the company's failure?
    • Will the car be presented positively as a good vehicle that has stood the test of time and prove's JZD as a success?

The director who seems to specialize in documentaries appears to have some positive reviews for his past movies. It also seems like his portfolio includes pictures that seem to focus on proverbial underdogs and their struggles.

On the other hand, the distributor seems to deal mostly with horror/shock flicks. So they might have influence over the film. Then we have the current cultural landscape too. Heavily divided right now with politics, the angle of the film may be even more skewed in one direction versus the other.

I'm not trying to talk ill of anyone here at all. I myself also have high hopes for this project as well. But we don't know how it will be until it comes out. Just as I wish them all the best of luck, I also hope that they do right by the subject.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

I admit I didn't read the article in depth but I got that Tamir was one of the producers when XYZ was moving with it. Since XYZ sold it then Tamir probably was part of that sale and whether he is still a part of the future plans is up for debate bUT I would guess no.

My VIN:    6585

Totally off-topic, but I'm not a millennial and I enjoy the documentaries as well. Be it video or Podcast form. I love television and the medium, but thanks to "Reality TV" most shows now seem to have made their focal point obfuscating the line between fiction and reality, no matter what their genre. Watching those shows is like trying to eat plastic fruit. Same with news programs that don't actually have any new facts to report, so they just bring on a bunch of people to ramble speculative opinions.

Documentaries seem to satisfy the growing hunger more and more people have for real knowledge.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

DeLorean Historian / Administrator Tamir A.'s Avatar

My VIN:    11474

Hi Everyone,

To some in the community, this announcement isn't such new news as I've been in production on this for several months now. But nonetheless, I'm excited to say that this theatrical feature length film documentary is being made, make no question about that. I am 100% involved in the picture and I'm producing it on a daily basis alongside XYZ and 9.14 Pictures.

The directors are super talented filmmakers whom I have complete trust in. I highly recommend anyone watch their films and it will give you an even greater sense of excitement that they are at the helm of this project. We are working hand in hand on the film, and I believe the DMC community will be very happy with how this project turns out.

I'm not in a position where I want to discuss creative approaches or those kinds of specific elements of the film, but I believe in the creative approach we are taking, and I'm very pleased with the level of participation we have received by those individuals involved in John's life, some of whom have never been interviewed for previous TV specials, etc. One of my goals from the onset of this project was to dig very deep into archives and private collections to make sure the community of DMC owners have something fresh and interesting to see when this hits the big screen.

Thank you for your support.

Best,
    Tamir
    Fan of all things DeLorean!

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by Tamir A. View Post

I'm not in a position where I want to discuss creative approaches or those kinds of specific elements of the film, but I believe in the creative approach we are taking, and I'm very pleased with the level of participation we have received by those individuals involved in John's life, some of whom have never been interviewed for previous TV specials, etc. One of my goals from the onset of this project was to dig very deep into archives and private collections to make sure the community of DMC owners have something fresh and interesting to see when this hits the big screen.

Thank you for your support.

Best,
    Tamir
    I hope you guys also get to tap into the knowledge of some of the ex-workers and owners overseas ( I am sure this will be a definite). This would make it quite epic.

My VIN:    6472

Sounds like the film is in great hands. Tamir if you end up needing any cars to shoot some b-roll car footage, I'll be happy to provide.

DeLorean Historian / Administrator Tamir A.'s Avatar

My VIN:    11474

Thanks. Appreciate the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    Sounds like the film is in great hands. Tamir if you end up needing any cars to shoot some b-roll car footage, I'll be happy to provide.
    Fan of all things DeLorean!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast